• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mail App Icons with new messages counter

rjgmba

Lurker
Sep 13, 2016
Hi, I am completely new to Android phone, and I was wondering if I am missing a trick. I have several different email address, like gmail and Hotmail, and I would like to see for each email account the number of new mails I have received since I last checked by looking at the icon of the app, just like you get with the WhatsApp icon (it indicates a counter with the new messages you have received). I have tried different mail apps, like gmail, bluemail and gmail, but none of them seem to indicate (by looking at the icon) the number of new messages received since you last looked. Bluemail does have a counter, but it seems the counter for unread messages (rather than new messages). Is this a setting somewhere that would allow the icon to show that type of info or is there a way to configure widgets to provide that type of info at a glance when I go to my home screen?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones