• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mail keeps losing and redownloading emails from last 24 hours

blaurie

Lurker
Sep 22, 2011
I am using the standard Android Mail program on my new HTC Desire HD. I have 1 POP (yahoo) and 2 IMAP accounts.

When I open my email it downloads my latest emails as normal. However, a short time later (say 10 minutes), when I open my email again those new emails will be missing and my inbox will only show emails from yesterday or even a few days before. If I refresh my inbox, it will start the download process again and bring them into my inbox (where they may then again later disappear and then redownload).

I have tried using K-9 and had the same problem with all 3 accounts. All accounts are with different providers so I don't think it is a problem at the server end.

This is not a problem with showing only read or unread emails as it makes no difference to the problem whether the email is read or not - both read and unread emails disappear and what remains in my inbox (yesterdays email and before) may also be read or unread.

It also doesn't matter if I view my emails using All Accounts or the individual accounts as the recent emails are missing regardless of which view I select.

It is also not a problem of me having emails deleted from the POP/IMAP server as I always leave them on the server. It is also not a problem of me deleting or filing the emails when accessing the email from my laptop. In testing this I have been very careful to ensure that I don't delete or shift any emails off the server or in my laptop.

My device has 2.7GB free on the SD card and 1 GB free on the internal storage. My email is set to store emails from the last 30 days. I do not think that this is a RAM problem as on my running apps the phone says that I have used 193MB of RAM and have 371MB free.

Any ideas? Help please...

Thanks El Pres. Yes, i am using auto sync (accounts and sync menu). I can't think of where a conflict might be though. All the settings in the email app seem pretty standard. Do you think that I should not be using auto sync or can you guide me to where a conflict might occur? Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I'm just speculating here, but you have 2 types of account, POP and IMAP.

IMAP works by sending mail to a client whenever the server receives it. POP works the other way in that the client has to ask the server if it has any mail to send at predefined intervals. If the IMAP accounts are being sent when the mail arrives and the sync settings are asking for the mail again, it could be causing conflicts.

Turn autosync off, configure the mail app for your IMAP accounts and leave the POP account for now, see if that resolves it.

Reactions: blaurie
Upvote 0
El Pres.

I think that you are right that there is some sort of conflict between the POP and the IMAP.

What I have done is set my various email accounts up on different mail programs. I use the android mail client program for my IMAP email accounts, k-9 for my yahoo (pop) and Gmail for my Gmail.

This seems to have solved the problem (although I now have three email programs running which is not ideal.

But I certainly appreciate your help as I now have an acceptable workaround.

Many thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones