• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mail not working correctly - help please?

lyons238

Android Enthusiast
May 21, 2010
ok so i tried out k-9 mail last night and i gotta say i like some of the features but the overall look just doesn't look as nice as the stock, and the stock works just fine for me so i decided to delete it.

before my emails seemed to be pushed to my phone right as they came. now they never push to my phone i have to hit refresh in order to get my emails. i didn't change any settings. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

ok so i tried out k-9 mail last night and i gotta say i like some of the features but the overall look just doesn't look as nice as the stock, and the stock works just fine for me so i decided to delete it.

before my emails seemed to be pushed to my phone right as they came. now they never push to my phone i have to hit refresh in order to get my emails. i didn't change any settings. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Are you using the Gmail client or the HTC Mail client?

Upvote 0
The Gmail client doesnt automatically update I think..So I switched my Gmail client and use HTC for both my accounts

Gmail client uses push notifications so you get your messages almost instantly. I was under the impression that the HTC mail client worked off of intervals...

All my mail gets delivered instantly using the gmail client.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, "Mail" gets push from Exchange but not Gmail while "Gmail" gets push from Gmail. Kinda sucks I need two programs to get push from my two emails.

so the htc client will push my @live.com email? it seemed like it was pushing before but i know for a fact its not now because i just had to refresh it to get an email that has been in my email since earlier today. so now im not sure if the htc client pushes at all :/.

so if there is a way to get push email from both accounts how do i do it? if not any good push email apps?

Upvote 0
so the htc client will push my @live.com email? it seemed like it was pushing before but i know for a fact its not now because i just had to refresh it to get an email that has been in my email since earlier today. so now im not sure if the htc client pushes at all :/.

so if there is a way to get push email from both accounts how do i do it? if not any good push email apps?

I don't have any experience with live.com email. I think it has some basic Exchange/push functionality via MS Mail or Outlook but don't quote me on that. The only two ways I *personally* know of to get push email on the Evo are the Gmail app for Gmail and "Mail" will do it with a MS Exchange based email like the kind you may have for work if they use Outlook.

Upvote 0
I don't have any experience with live.com email. I think it has some basic Exchange/push functionality via MS Mail or Outlook but don't quote me on that. The only two ways I *personally* know of to get push email on the Evo are the Gmail app for Gmail and "Mail" will do it with a MS Exchange based email like the kind you may have for work if they use Outlook.

oh ok. thanks for your input. ill keep looking for a solution. if a can find a good way in getting 2 push emails on 1 app would ya like me to let ya know?

Upvote 0
Im using the HTC mail client as well. I was getting my gmail just fine per the send/receive settings. Yesterday they just stopped coming in without me manually refreshing the inbox. So today, I deleted the account. Rebooted, Set the account up again (I have a gmail addy) and set it up as POP. The mail comes in again per the send/receive schedule.

Now though - it deletes the mail off the server once it downloads. I have the "delete from server" box unchecked though. The other day everything was working perfect. Now I at least have my mail coming thru, but its deleting it off the server if I choose not to manually delete the email.

Ugh! Any ideas/tips?

Upvote 0
Im using the HTC mail client as well. I was getting my gmail just fine per the send/receive settings. Yesterday they just stopped coming in without me manually refreshing the inbox. So today, I deleted the account. Rebooted, Set the account up again (I have a gmail addy) and set it up as POP. The mail comes in again per the send/receive schedule.

Now though - it deletes the mail off the server once it downloads. I have the "delete from server" box unchecked though. The other day everything was working perfect. Now I at least have my mail coming thru, but its deleting it off the server if I choose not to manually delete the email.

Ugh! Any ideas/tips?

I think I may have figured out "WHY"? but I dont know how to fix. I go to the HTC Mail client and go to menu -> more -> settings -> Account settings and click thru the options: I have POP selected as the protocol at the top. Then the POP server says imap.gmail.com. It should say smtp.gmail.com. So I change the drop down to imap and swith it back to POP - click next and then it changes it back to smtp.gmail.com. I click thru to finish setup, go back into the settings and the mail server changes back to imap again. Im not sure how to make it stay put.

UPDATE: I have it so that the pop servers stays put, but still having the issue with the mail deleting off the server even though the checkbox is not checked for that. grrrr

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. I get the notification at the top of the screen and when I click the message, it takes me into the gmail app. It is not pushing to the email icon on the phone where it would pop up a number next to the icon notifying you of an email. In order for me to get the number to come up, I have to refresh the accounts and then the number will pop up. I know this was working the other day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones