• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MailDroid back to basics

Hi Hadron and thanks again for your help :)

You guided me in a RIGHT direction, but I have NEVER EVER had this experience of 'clicking on a file name'. When I was in that second screen, I thought I can only click checkbox to get a tick to Save it or Save As :)

I've tried now to click ABOVE the File Name, and suddenly I had (invisible previously) as I was touching it, YELLOW SHADE over file name that unfortunatelly brought the message that there is no app assigned to this file (PDF). But at least I know now that what you told me was CORRECT, but maildrioddev should put somewhere within a Help file, about this, for people like me for whom this was not an obvious action :)

I've seen that there is no '.pdf' after the top File Name, which why MailDroid might not open it?! But why my TypeMail for example, can easily recognise it and open in a relevant app?!

On a second file, which ending with '.png', I have a message which asks me with what app I want to open that file. I open in a Gallery, and I can see logo of this company as png file.

Link BEFORE message appeared: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlro7ks5bzqq3it/file 10-07-2015 14 13 06.jpeg?dl=0

Link AFTER I've clicked on top of the File Name on a second screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvjwita8b1mnpwq/file 10-07-2015 14 13 34.jpeg?dl=0

Thanks Hadron again :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is not something Hadron can help with at this point and this is the feedback I want and need to make it better. Personally, I don't want to add a help file, I want it to be so easy that you don't need to read a help file :) This feedback will help me improve that more. In terms of not recognizing the pdf, that is odd, can you pm me or email me directly at my support address?

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Sorry maildroiddev, but I am not versatile at all with ANY forum ... used it in the past on a couple of occasions to post something, so don't know where to look for your email address. Here is mine, so you contact me directly: vinkor at outlook.com (you know what to do :) ... wrote like this because of web-spiders).

By the way, I agree about NOT writing HELP file :) ... People will find their 'obstacles' here in this forum, if they came across them :)

Thanks in advance for everything ...

Upvote 0
A new version was released last night. It has some updates based on feedback from a number of people:

1. The accounts section is now auto-expanded as a lot of people wanted that as the default
2. The folder structure now has +/- collapsible tree like structure so for those with complex nested IMAP folders it makes it more usable
3. Finally changed the arrow on dropdown sections to a normal arrow :)

I have a few more things to do here before moving on, specifically in the People section, but your feedback is important and I am continuing to make changes around that.

Also, I have spoken to the Lightflow developer and we have a plan to get integration there. We both have to slate it and time it right, but I do hope to get it done soon.

Keep the feedback coming!!

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Dev,

I've been using Maildroid for the past week, so still somewhat new to it. It seems pretty fluid so far. Some various feedback and questions below.

1. Maildroid seems to always run in the background even though I have it set to pull messages say every 120 minutes; shouldn't it awake only when pulling? I do have it set to Preload and Index all messages, so does that keep it awake?

2. In Connection Management I have checked the box to close connection when I exit mailbox, and checked the box to let device sleep. So should it not sleep when exiting, and then only awake on the time set to pull messages?

3. Are there other recommended settings to maximize battery life and keep battery drain as low as possible? Besides of course increasing the polling time or not polling at all.

4. Can you confirm that Maildroid does not store emails on a server?

5. Lastly, Ads are fine for a free product and are expected; but the $12.99 charge for the Pro version is high and probably keeping many from buying or testing; Recommend reducing it or doing something like a quarterly sale. Not trying to complain, just giving a perspective.

Thanks for an overall good product though, I will continue explore its features.

Upvote 0
Dev,

I've been using Maildroid for the past week, so still somewhat new to it. It seems pretty fluid so far. Some various feedback and questions below.

1. Maildroid seems to always run in the background even though I have it set to pull messages say every 120 minutes; shouldn't it awake only when pulling? I do have it set to Preload and Index all messages, so does that keep it awake?

2. In Connection Management I have checked the box to close connection when I exit mailbox, and checked the box to let device sleep. So should it not sleep when exiting, and then only awake on the time set to pull messages?

3. Are there other recommended settings to maximize battery life and keep battery drain as low as possible? Besides of course increasing the polling time or not polling at all.

4. Can you confirm that Maildroid does not store emails on a server?

5. Lastly, Ads are fine for a free product and are expected; but the $12.99 charge for the Pro version is high and probably keeping many from buying or testing; Recommend reducing it or doing something like a quarterly sale. Not trying to complain, just giving a perspective.

Thanks for an overall good product though, I will continue explore its features.

Thanks, appreciate that. Let me respond to each point:

1. MD runs as a service, so it will always run in the background though it may not always go and check your mail depending on your settings

2. Technically, yes. If you see otherwise, email me so we can debug it!

3. In general, by changing from idle push (assuming you are on that) to pull may increase battery loss as pull uses more memory and requires making all the connections again to your mail server to see if there is mail. If you are on pull, that is probably all you can do.

4. There is no secondary server to store emails, never had one and no plans to do that ever. The idea of MD was to be a pure mail client of your client speaking to your server which has your mail.

5. Yup, it used to be 17.99, but I lowered it this year as many people had asked for it to be lowered. I do have sales usually once a month that drops it even lower.

Thanks again for your feedback! Keep it coming!

Upvote 0
As an update, I have added support for:

1. Apex Launcher/Notifier
2. Nova Launcher/Tesla Unread
3. Dashclock Widget
4. Light Flow

More yet to come, though if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I know some people wanted tasker. Any others? Any other features you wanted? Would love to hear from anyone still watching this thread ;-)

Upvote 0
OK. Got a couple of emails in my Inbox, both with 2 attachments (no idea if the number of attachments is significant but it can be easily tested by the author). The email with 2x 'jpg' attachments is no problem. I touch the paperclip and see both files listed. However with the email that has 2x 'docx' files attached (Word documents ...) the list consists of a single item which is actually the subject of the email and not either of the filenames.

Have I missed something or is this a bug?

NB: latest Maildroid from Play Store and running 4.2.2. And Outlook 2010 on my PC has no problem with them.

Ta

Upvote 0
The spam filtering in Maildroid (and I don't think the developer would disagree in principle) is really intended for use with POP3 accounts. POP3 accounts cannot do filtering, sorting and syncing folders.

If you have POP3 accounts which cannot be converted to IMAP then Maildroid's email spam plugin is valuable and unique. I don't know of any other email client that offers it.

For IMAP accounts such as Gmail, Outlook and some Yahoo accounts, spam filtering should be done at the email server instead of on your phone or computer. This has several advantages.

1. Spam emails are filtered out without needing to download them. Saves usage of mobile data.

2. Saves battery power not downloading and filtering on the phone.

3. Filtering at the server means all your devices don't have to download or filter spam. It stays on the server.

4. You can take advantage of the mail service's built-in spam filters. Gmail for example has very good spam filtering.

5. Add your own custom filters. For instance, sort email into folders like Friends & Family, Business, Bills etc. Since they are sorted at the server, when email uploads to your devices it comes pre-sorted to all of them.

That's just some of the advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnuNag and tube517
Upvote 0
Wow thanks Crashdamage for useful info, This is what I am looking for solution. I am mainly using web based email accounts (gmail, yahoo and outlook), I do agree the server side spam filtering is more efficient.
I am more into Gmail these days but I find Yahoo mail spam filtering is very ineffective & constantly getting alert for the spam mails in the inbox. I cannot leave out Yahoo mail which I have been using much before Gmail came-up & still gets important mails from old contacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume Yahoo has the ability to let you create custom filters ( though I should know not to assume anything about Yahoo). Even so, manually creating spam filters is a pita.

If you insist on keeping the Yahoo account, you might consider setting it to forward all email to Gmail, You could take advantage of the good spam filtering and handle Yahoo from Gmail. And if it's still POP3 routing it through Gmail will add IMAP features including push notifications.

Reactions: AnuNag
Upvote 0
I assume Yahoo has the ability to let you create custom filters ( though I should know not to assume anything about Yahoo). Even so, manually creating spam filters is a pita.

If you insist on keeping the Yahoo account, you might consider setting it to forward all email to Gmail, You could take advantage of the good spam filtering and handle Yahoo from Gmail. And if it's still POP3 routing it through Gmail will add IMAP features including push notifications.

1. Yes, Yahoo has custom filters to manage it.... there are two versions of Yahoo though, and the free version does not offer up the POP3 and filters like the paid version... I have had the paid version for 20 years, and it is well worth it.

2. I also use Gmail, everything that hits Gmail is forwarded to Yahoo, and that works like a champ.

I have not used Gmail to manage the Yahoo mail, never needed to. I do it the "tuther way 'round"

Upvote 0
1. Yes, Yahoo has custom filters to manage it.... there are two versions of Yahoo though, and the free version does not offer up the POP3 and filters like the paid version... I have had the paid version for 20 years, and it is well worth it.

2. I also use Gmail, everything that hits Gmail is forwarded to Yahoo, and that works like a champ.

I have not used Gmail to manage the Yahoo mail, never needed to. I do it the "tuther way 'round"
You must mean you've paid for IMAP service with filtering, etc instead of the free POP3 which can not do such tricks.

But if you turn it around, use the free Yahoo service forwarded to Gmail, you can have Gmail's IMAP service with filtering, notifications, and much more for free and keep your Yahoo address.

Not much reason these days to pay for email except to have a private domain. But if you're happy, OK. I'm sure Yahoo is happy to keep taking your money. Just a suggestion to save a few bucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones