1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Maildroid won't display emoji.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by dvhttn, Aug 22, 2018.

1. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    Got a little problem and it would seem to be a Maildroid issue, which is the app I use for email on my Galaxy S7 (running an Oreo stock based ROM - Galaxy Project). Now this could be a feature/bug with the app OR it could just be a settings issue and as I have found next to nothing online that helps I'm putting this out to you guys to see if anyone on these forums can offer assistance ….

It's not a major problem just a display issue with emojis - but not in all cases. I'll compose an email and add an emoji (using SwiftKey, but the stock Samsung keyboard does the same) and all seems fine. However, if I look at the 'Sent' email, display shows a black diamond with a question mark in it where there should be an emoji. The received email displayed via Maildroid is also incorrect. If Maildroid 'replies' to that email then the included text (from the original sender) is also incorrect - just black diamonds. The 'other' copy of Maildroid is on a Huawei tablet, new, and also running Oreo - exactly the same symptoms as my S7.

Now, IF I send myself an email with emojis and use Outlook to view it on W10 PC then all emojis show up as expected. If I 'reply' to myself using Outlook, including the emojis originally composed on Maildroid, then they do show up as emoji if I view that 'reply' using Maildroid.

Another data point, and one that I suspect is where the problem lays, is that I use Rich Text for composing on Maildroid but html on Outlook. There is no obvious way to use html within Maildroid, just text input as 'text' or 'rich text'. From what I read though using RT should not cause an issue like this so i'm at a loss ….

Anyone got any bright ideas? And yes, I could get another email app, just that I'd like to understand what the issue is first ….

Ta

Advertisement

#1 dvhttn, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Have you tried sending as HTML using MailDroid? That would take a few seconds to test and would confirm whether that difference was relevant, rather than relying on what you've understood from elsewhere (I'm a great fan of testing things empirically rather than relying on theory ;)).

Personally I've never used SwiftKey emoji, or any others, in an email, so have no experience of this. I'll occasionally type a smilie like this :) (colon right-parenthesis), and if someone's software displays that as an image rather than ASCII then that's cool and all, but I've never used anything fancier than that so cannot advise on what I'd expect.

3. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    Thanks for the reply. Just edited the OP to point out that Maildroid has not, as far as I can see (and I may just have missed it down a non-obvious menu settings choice!), any way to set html as the preferred display.

As I said, hmmmmmm …..