• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Main version is older"-Hboot 0.93.0001 -How to beat it ?

It is an brand Desire, I rooted, I loaded custom rom (worked fine), but the ROM manager screwed up something. I guess, it reflashed the bootloader (or recovery?), but failed. :(
Now the desire cannot boot. It stucked at the screen, with logo afer reset and freez.
The bootloader says :

BRAVO PVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0001
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.10.05.23

If I try to go to RECOVERY the screen goes white, and nothing happens.

If I put the PB99IMG.zip to SD card, the HBOOT finds it, but says, "Main version is older"

Is any way to reFlash the rom ? :thinking:

What to do ? :thinking:

btw rom manager does not reflash the bootloader or recovery.
it puts a fake recovery in a clockworkmod folder on sdcard and uses root to make a adb reboot to the clockworkmod zip rather than full recovery

if you take the sdcard out can you get to recovery?

No, it`s impossible - Recovery gives me operator logo, after 5 sec black bar at the top of screen and telephone down (not not really off - computer sees it as a android device).

how did you root the device?

I used unrevoked method - but after reset the telephone remained dead. I took out battery and SD - It helped.

I wanted to fix it.

With RomManager -> Flash ClockworkMod Recovery -> Reboot into Recovery

Since then Desire cannot boot.
For 30 sec I have a logo then reset logo 5 sec and freez, like I wrote above.

Upvote 0
No, it`s impossible - Recovery gives me operator logo, after 5 sec black bar at the top of screen and telephone down (not not really off - computer sees it as a android device).

I used unrevoked method - but after reset the telephone remained dead. I took out battery and SD - It helped.

I wanted to fix it.

With RomManager -> Flash ClockworkMod Recovery -> Reboot into Recovery

Since then Desire cannot boot.
For 30 sec I have a logo then reset logo 5 sec and freez, like I wrote above.

sounds like recovery did not successfully flash from unrevoked.
if you manage to get to the red triangle when the sdcard is out then i think the sdcard is causing a problem with loading recovery

try this. take the sdcard out and put it in a card reader
(copy the contents off the card to a computer)
format the card as fat32
on the computer go to the <backup folder you made>/clockworkmod/download/koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries/ copy recover-clockwork-2.5.0.7-bravo.zip
paste it to the root of the card, rename it to update.zip (delete update.zip if you already have it there
place the card back into the device and boot to recovery
if it doesnt autoload the hold volup+ power when in recovery, there maybe an option for apply update.zip.
this may get you into the fake flash recovery where you can then try applying a custom rom like teppics.
once done then try using unrevoked again to flash a recovery

Upvote 0
That's not going to work - if recovery is broken there's nothing you can do but flash an RUU. You definitely can't reflash recovery unless you re-run unrevoked3 (or use S-OFF) because of the hardware lock; stock recovery will not run fake flash under any circumstances.

well he cant do either as he cannot boot to main rom which both require.

i thought if the device was rooted you might be able to use update.zip even if you didnt have engineering

i havent seen a standard recovery menu as i modified mine pretty quickly

ahh well

EDIT: Teppic, how did you make that pb99img.zip?
if he has a goldcard is it possible for the latest possible version to be converted into a pb99img.zip and then flashed?

Upvote 0
A rooted phone won't change recovery (you don't need to be rooted for custom recovery, and custom recovery won't provide root).

The latest unbranded RUU is available as a PB99IMG.zip file as described. So if the phone was unbranded, no goldcard will be necessary to fix it. This method doesn't require a working recovery or working ROM.

Upvote 0
sounds like recovery did not successfully flash from unrevoked.
if you manage to get to the red triangle when the sdcard is out then i think the sdcard is causing a problem with loading recovery
I also suppose that unrevoked is responsible for my problem.

But Desire does not want to fully load system even without SDcard.

try this. take the sdcard out and put <CUT>
I tried - exactly as you wrote - No change :thinking:
,cut.
EDIT: Teppic, how did you make that pb99img.zip?
if he has a goldcard is it possible for the latest possible version to be converted into a pb99img.zip and then flashed?

With pb99img.zip I get error: "Main version is older" - That's the point

A rooted phone won't change recovery (you don't need to be rooted for custom recovery, and custom recovery won't provide root).
The latest unbranded RUU is available as a PB99IMG.zip file as described. So if the phone was unbranded, no goldcard will be necessary to fix it. This method doesn't require a working recovery or working ROM.

My Desire is brand-one. What can I do ?

That's not going to work - if recovery is broken there's nothing you can do but flash an RUU. You definitely can't reflash recovery unless you re-run unrevoked3 (or use S-OFF) because of the hardware lock; stock recovery will not run fake flash under any circumstances.

Now, I launched successfully RUU :) under USB_Fastboot ! :)

But I tried a number of stock images-roms (with GoldCard - my phone is brand one) and each time I get error:

140:BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR - on Desire screen : "Main Version is older" :thinking:

My rom version: 2.15.118.1

What else can be done ???

Upvote 0

Yep, goldcard present - but sitll "Main version is older"

Yep - but Downgrade requires system - I have only access to Hboot .

Upvote 0
You have a bit of a problem then. You could try a branded update with a higher release number (e.g. Three's froyo), and then downgrade that.

could i ask what would happen if you renamed the fake clockwork update.zip to PB99IMG.zip

ive not tried it but wondered if it could some how initiate recovery

im not trying to confuse matters, im just interested if anyone has tried it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones