1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Major battery help needed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by isaemm, Jan 23, 2011.

1. isaemm

isaemm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    Please oh please can someone help me out here. My battery life is a extremely horrible and frustrating me. I rooted with myns rls5 and my battery life worse than it was when the phone was stock. So I followed the advice tips from another thread, here is what I did.

Installed this kernel - HTC KERNEL #15 v7
    Installed Setcpu
    Installed spareparts

And after that the immediate drop of anywhere from 5 - 10% of battery power was gone, instead it took about a half hour for it to drop. Big wow.

So I was advised to change my PRI from 1.90_003 to PRI 1.77. I did that yesterday and went ahead and did my normal routine, at night I charge my phone, wake up and check emails.

So this morning the routine starts, woke up and check emails which took all of about 10 - 15 mins. Then sent and received about 20 texts total. Its been about a hour an a half off charger why doing all of this and I am at 75% battery life.

I am getting so pissed at this. can someone please help me figure this out. Im ready to drastic things to this damn phone and get a new one.

Oh and by the way my spare parts stats are as follows in partial wake usage
    The top is Handcent 5m 7s and next is android system at 2m 18s.

Thanks to anyone who can help me avoid getting a new phone.:mad:

Advertisement

2. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Are you checking emails on wifi, 3g, or 4g?

I've heard when switching roms/kernels/updates you have to go back and change syncing/updating settings on programs sometimes, this could be part of the problem, but 25% that quick is still a lot.

Do you turn radios off when you're not using them?

3. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    I'm on wifi about 95% of the time. And no I don't turn radios off. Is there a way to have them then off automatically when not in use?

4. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    I think tasker has automated settings for them.

I use the power control widget for wifi, BT, GPS, brightness and a separate 3g widget

5. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    Ok, well there has to be a way to see what is eating away at my battery. It just cant be the radio, as i stated, I'm constantly on wifi. What do i need to check and see what is running? How can I pin point the culprit. I am now down to 71% in just under 2 hours of being off the charger. Something is way off here.

6. Harlem Tech

Harlem Tech Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Systems Analyst
    New York
    Have you tried Installing Juice Defender and AutoKiller from the Market? i had the same problem and now my evo runs all day on one charge...it is worth a try. Note: with these 2 apps you will not need any other task killers so get rid of them and watch the magic.

isaemm likes this.
  7. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    I installed both, so it's time to wait and see. Any advice on settings for each?

8. jbroad572

jbroad572 Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm in the same boat. One thing I thought about for me is not letting the battery stats have a chance to build up? I remember when I first got my Evo, the battery got considerably better a few days later of cycling the battery. I switch between my regular battery and an extended 3500 one, but I flash a lot of kernels and roms as well and wipe the battery stats each time I flash. I am either going to just stick it out with Miui or CM7 and see if the battery gets any better.

I'm exactly where you are though. I can watch my battery just drop in percentages and it might last 2-4 hours with moderate use. I've tried fresh installs with no apps running. When the screen is off it seems to drain normally, but when I use it the numbers just drop too dramatically. I also don't have the best signal in my house, but it happens in public as well. I've used Juice Defender and set cpu before, but there is a bigger issue at hand and those aren't going to do much. I've also been trying out Green Power lite, heard it does a better job than juice defender, where it matters (mobile data). I thought it could have been a rogue program as well or a some kind of setting from a backup, but like I mentioned I've ttested on fresh installs as well.

I've tried numerous kernels and rom combos and it's very frustrating. If I had my way it'd be CM7 with the great battery life everyone talks about. I do believe I've read there is a battery drain issue on Myn's latest rom... don't quote me though.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and let you know if I come up with anything as well.
    I've got a 004 hardware evo as well, just for reference sake.

9. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    Well I'm glad there is someone out there that knows what I am going through. This is seriously ridiculous. There's gotta be someone that knows how to fix this though. I'm to the point where I want to "accidently" drop it in water and do an insurance claim on it to start all over.

**** Save the fraud comments every one, Im not going that route. But its that frustrating to not even be able to go half a day with normal to light use and watch your battery drain down to nothing. :(

10. jbroad572

jbroad572 Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    It's been a problem on multiple phones for me. I started about 2 hours ago with a 98% charge on my Seidio extended battery with a fresh Miui (newest rom) install. It dropped pretty quickly to 90% and considering I've been doing quite a bit on my phone, but not restoring any of my previous apps (yet). I'm at 83%. It's been dropping very slowly compared to usual anyway.2.6.35.10 Savage Kernel.

When I noticed it dropping rather quickly, I tried the recommended kernel 1.1.0 and I think it was dropping even quicker, so I reflashed back and it's looking promising at the moment.

I use an external charger most time for both batteries, but I've been reading about the SBC kernels and I think I am wanting to try one of those out. Probably v.8. I'm not worried about it doing any damage to my phone, but reading how great the battery life has been for some before they were removed has me interested. I'll probably wait until my battery reaches 50% before I try anything else though. I really want to load all my apps back up, but little worried that's when more problems will start again.

I'll keep you posted though.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Sbc all the way ....my phone typically sits at 100% for 3+ hours. Actually its nearly midnight and I have been on this charge since 11 am. Phone is still at 75%. Get out there and try some kernels till you find one that fits your needs.

12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yeah i agree about trying various kernels. i went through 3-4 different ones before i found one that works for me.

13. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    Where could I find a list for the different SBC kernels?

14. jbroad572

jbroad572 Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Well, the latest Miui and the SBC kernel are giving me good battery life as of now. I reinstalled most of my apps and have made a few calls, texts, internet browsing, downloading, etc and I'm sitting at 56% on my stock battery and I'm reading 8h 41min. That would not have happened the past week or so. Maybe give it a shot if you like miui at all and see how it works for you as well or maybe just try one of the SBC kernels that apply to your rom of choice.

15. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
  16. foobah

foobah Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2009
    Ew I stay away from messing with kernels and just do battery savers instead: I bought both the JuiceDefender Pro (Ultimate Juice) and Green Power Pro. I have tried each alone for several days. My conclusion is that Green Power Pro does a far better job. By 10 PM with JuiceDefender my battery is at 15% and gasping. With Green Power it is still at 40 or 50%, and I leave it sit next to the bed all night without charging. In the morning it still has 40% that quickly drops to 30% as I start to check email, etc.

In the morning I use the Wifi connection heavily the first hour or so checking the stock market and emails. After that I use it intermittently during the day for the Web, email, text and voice.

If I contact Green Power Gael sends an email reply.

Also, take a look at this: http://androidspin.com/2010/05/21/android-kernel-blind-testing/

17. Lyvewire

Lyvewire Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I just downloaded both of these apps. Is it me or are there not many options to show and know whats going on. Using free versions.

18. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    for the record, there is much more to a custom kernel than just battery savings. I will check out green power...been hearing great things about it.

19. isaemm

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal
    Ok so I uninstalled Juice Defender and am trying Green power. What settings are you using? Can you guide me through setting it up . I have no clue on how to get the most out of this thing.:thinking:

Tags: