1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MAJOR Battery issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thebug426, Sep 30, 2014.

1. thebug426

thebug426 Lurker

Hi Everyone-

I am having major battery issues with my Volt. I have had it since late May and the battery was good at first (would last around 24 hours with light-moderate use). Very quickly it started declining to the point where it would only last 12 or so hours. Now, it drops about 10%/hour. I have performed a factory reset and there was no improvement. I have found that Google Search was taking a TON of battery so I uninstalled those updates, which is frustrating because I really like Google Now and the updates make it much more usable.

Any suggestions? I am unrooted. Since uninstalling the updates to Google Search the biggest battery drain is Andriod OS.

Thanks for any help! I really want to like this phone but I am thinking I might need to get a new one :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sands207

Sands207 Android Enthusiast

Have you updated to the newest OTA update yet? That should help you some. If you haven't yet you should get a notification to update android OS soon

3. thebug426

thebug426 Lurker

Thanks for your reply! I am kind of phone dumb, so please excuse my question, but what is the update for? Will I be able to update Google so that Google Now is actually usable without killing my battery? Even without the update to Google the battery is still crummy. I see everyone's awesome battery stats in other threads and I get so jealous :(

Thanks again!

4. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

He should not need any kind of OTA. You should clear 24 hours pretty easily with moderate use. It sounds like the battery was bad from the start. Just get a new one.

5. Sands207

It's funny because i installed the OTA update on my wifes phone and with the updated kernel and multitasking framework causing no more memory leaks her battery life= doubled and she is running the stock update, no root. But hey when you have to be right, it doesn't matter what you know.

6. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Jeff's point was that the battery on this phone should last well past 24 hours straight out if the box. That has been the experience of everyone on here... Except, apparently, for your wife and now this guy. Yes, the update is giving better battery life, but it seems like there is something else going on here besides needing to update, like possibly a bad battery, and I would apply that to your wife's phone as well. You didn't need to get crappy about it.

Sands207 likes this.
  7. Sands207

Point taken. Jeff, I'm sorry.

bg4m3r likes this.
  8. thebug426

thebug426 Lurker

Thanks for the advice everyone! Has anyone else had the huge drain on battery like I have with Google search? This makes me feel like it's not just my battery...

Also, I am a woman. FYI. :)

9. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

Other posts are saying there was no kernal update, and no discernible reason you would even want to update. What info have you gotten on any of this?

10. smk75

smk75 Member

Do you have location turned on? That's a big battery drain. Also check in settings under apps to see what is running. Even when you close an app that doesn't mean it's closed. I've even stopped them from running and they somehow start running again on their own. You can d/l a program called clean master, I have mine setup as a 1x1 widget, and click it on occasion to free up memory which seems to help some but when apps like to start on their own hard to really keep them closed without uninstalling them. One I've noticed running a lot is facebook which I rarely use on my phone. Connection optimizer is another one that runs all the time.

11. Sands207

Jeff, the ZV4 OTA update and ZV4 kernel are on this page, LG's official open source page . https://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensourceList?types=ALL&search=Volt I've been working on a ROM based on V4 from source for a few days now. You'll see it both here and xda when i finish. And the only info I have on the V4 update is my own, i have been using it almost a week now. I flashed it via cwm via flashboot and rooted my phone after the update. It really is like night and day. Here is how we did it http://androidforums.com/volt-all-things-root/872005-rom-zv4-updated-stock-rom.html Have a good night.

12. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

There are 3 big reasons to update. First, the updated system uses about 100MB less RAM. Second, it's shown to significantly improve battery life beyond it's already impressive on time. Finally, better data speeds and reception. We still have root too...so really, there's no reason not to.

Sands207 likes this.
  13. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

D'oh, my bad! :)

14. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

For the record, aside from the apps I've uninstalled, I have nothing frozen, location, data, and WiFi on at all times. After 16 hours, my battery is down to 40(heavy)-75%(light) depending on how heavily I'd been using it.

I am running the zv4 update.

Sands207 likes this.
  15. SteboMT

SteboMT Member

Just a quick FYI here. I work in a metal building. I usually get no bars in there. One thing I found out was LTE/Spark was eating my battery fast in my shirt pocket.

The way I dramatically improved my battery was go to System Settings/More.../Mobile Networks/Network Mode and change it to CDMA only (3g network). That being said I could work a 12 hour day only checking my email and messages at lunch time and come home with 79% still left on the battery!

Your mileage may vary...

Sands207 likes this.
  16. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Could you download wakelock detector and take a screenshot for us and upload?

17. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

People said towel root no longer works. We got another root method now?

I decided to update this morning and am very pleased with the results. My phone now works like it should!!!

- I can play music in the background and web browsing does not close it down (so far).

- Many many times when I go back to the home screen, it would need 1 second before the icons and widgets would show up (it would just show the live wallpaper). This no longer happens, the icons and everything are always there when I Home.

Sands207 likes this.
  18. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

There is a prerooted flashable ROM on here. Although, if you've updated, you'll have to go back to v3 and reupdate with the ROM.

Or wait until towelroot gets updated.

19. thebug426

thebug426 Lurker

Hi all!

Thanks for your responses! Wake lock detector is useless for me because I am unrooted. I have also noticed that my phone has a tendency to get hot in my pocket even when I haven't used it in quite some time. Any suggestions? Battery life is still crummy, even with the update.

20. erician

erician Member

all sexism aside, when i read "so jealous" i guessed as much:rolleyes:

21. thebug426

thebug426 Lurker

Thanks so much for your helpful contribution to this issue.

22. erician

erician Member

gee, thebug426,

i'd hoped you'd appreciate a little levity injected into a trying experience

sorry that it didn't help in that regard :-(

23. jeffmd

jeffmd Well-Known Member

The bug, we have already done what we can, there are no magic wands to wave. If your phone still has battery issues after running stock android with no other programs installed then you can try replacing the battery, or replace the phone.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews