• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major Bug!! Java or android itself?

karimamin

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
If you run the following expression
102 * 0.0254
you will get 2.59079999999998

but the answer is 2.5908
But yet, multiple 102 * 0.0253 or 102*0.0255 or 102*0.0256 and you get the right answer!! Just with this number. This fails on both the emulator for eclipse and on my actual htc phone.:mad:

Help! Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Welcome to the world of Java and double precision numbers. Same thing happens in Windows and everywhere else. Its not a "bug" but the way Java double precision numbers are implemented.

I'm basically trying to make a simple calculator and found this number totally at random. The calculator on my phone calculates this properly so why can't my app? I guess i'm trying to get is what are the workarounds for this as I take it there must be for the calculator software to work properly.

Upvote 0
even BigDecimal isn't perfect, but it works much better. We typically don't worry about the rounding error too much since we usually round to a particular level of precision when we display a number to the user, but that doesn't work so well with a calculator app.

I've written write code that'll take a number like 2.59079999999998 and figure out its really 2.5908 for the cases where we don't know the level of precision beforehand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones