• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major carriers with phone plans under $50

I'm on Virgin right now and it's just not worth it, it seems. I'm about 30 minutes away from the closest 3G coverage, most areas around me only seem to get a bar or two of reception. Calls are dropped quite a bit and texting is a mess.

I've been looking around for another carrier to switch to but they're all upwards of $50 for a single line and the least amount of data I can get. I do not care for data in the slightest. The unlimited data with Virgin, even when I'm in a 3G area, I don't use since just about everywhere has Wifi.

So I've just about given up on switching to another carrier since they're all pretty expensive and I figured you guys may know of anything cheaper out there with a major carrier.

T-Mobile prepaid:

• For $30: 100 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data(first 5GB at up to 4g speed, throttled to 2g speeds afterwards).
  • For $50: unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data(first 500MB at up to 4g speed, throttled to 2g speeds afterwards).
I use the $30 dollar plan and it rocks.

AT&T GoPhone has one plan of interest to you perhaps:
$40 gets you 500 minutes, unlimited texting and 200MB of data. If you need more data, it's $5 per additional 100MB

Upvote 0
Does the T-mobile prepaid allow access to all their smartphones?

Edit: I just checked it out and their prepaid smartphones are expensive.

T-Mobile and at&t being gsm means that you cab buy one of theirs or bring any gsm phone compatible with their frequencies. It will likely need to be sim unlocked for that. The Nexus 4 is a great choice at only 300 or 350 full retail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones