• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major Eris Fail, or just me?

qwiktune

Feb 17, 2010
USA
So, i noticed if you dont have a certain amount of MBs free, if your phone dies or you shut it off, in order to start it back up and it find a signal [and no force close everything] you need at least like 65mb worth of free internal phone space. I have only 93mb of 159mb of internal memory free on my phone, it has died and now once again i have to delete a few apps, restart, and reinstall them to get it working properly again. Is this just me, is there a fix for this somewhere, or is this just an Epic Fail by HTC, cuz it pretty ridiculous that i need that much free space. Its like saying HEY, you got all this space, but you cant use it?

Sorry, not starting up as in finding network/force closing SENSE...etc.....

just deleted 3 of my bigger apps [and cleared some Cache] and restarted fine...seems to me that if you have over 88mb [give or take a mb or 2] the phone doesnt have enough free internal memory to start up properly....HTC/Verizon really needs to get wind of this malfunction and do something about it....can anyone over 100mb of used internal memory turn off their phone and turn it back on with everything working fine?

Upvote 0
Just so I get this straight, you have over 100 mb worth of apps on your phone? :eek: It only comes with 159 mb of free app memory with 1.5 and 143 mb with 2.1. Any computer will start to show problems if you use up more than half of the internal memory. Smartphones are the same way, if not worse. You need to take a look at what you have and reevaluate the necessity of some of the apps you have or just do some house cleaning.

Upvote 0
Just so I get this straight, you have over 100 mb worth of apps on your phone? :eek: It only comes with 159 mb of free app memory with 1.5 and 143 mb with 2.1. Any computer will start to show problems if you use up more than half of the internal memory. Smartphones are the same way, if not worse. You need to take a look at what you have and reevaluate the necessity of some of the apps you have or just do some house cleaning.

Yep agree 100%.

Upvote 0
No, its not just you. I've had the same problem in the past... too many apps. When my phone would boot up most of the android apps would force close, so then I'd be looking for something to delete. Thats why I was sooo looking forward to installing apps on the SD card when we got root, but now it seems as though it's not even being considered or explored. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Upvote 0
HTC Eris major fail, or operator error?

A little of both is probably the correct answer.

It would have been nice for the Eris to have come with 8 Gb of internal memory so that we could load thousands of random apps, but it didn't.

Since it didn't, people need to be somewhat responsible with what they put on their phone. There is no real need to have every app in the market on there. While some of them may be useful at times, they aren't really needed all the time. I tend to go through and evaluate the apps on my phone pretty regularly. If I notice an app that I have not used in several weeks then I tend to uninstall it. I can always download it again from the market if I discover I need it at some time.

Upvote 0
Well when i first got the phone, ill admit I went a little APP crazy and noticed that when there is about 14mb of internal memory space left a little icon pops up in the status bar warning you that your memory is almost full [and it doesnt let you install anymore apps unless you delete some and free up space], my question is why isnt that warning activated when you fill it up to the point where you actually cant power the phone off and back on properly. I'm sure probably why people might have returned the Eris to verzion thinking that they messed up the phone and needed a new one...

like not smart phone savy owners, how are they suppose to know this and/or how to fix it. I mean i'm pretty good with computer and the like, but I assumed I was safe to download apps and such until I saw that warning and was like oh ok, i better delete some apps, i didnt know i needed like half the internal memory free to avoid problems until i searched the issue online

Upvote 0
Well when i first got the phone, ill admit I went a little APP crazy and noticed that when there is about 14mb of internal memory space left a little icon pops up in the status bar warning you that your memory is almost full [and it doesnt let you install anymore apps unless you delete some and free up space], my question is why isnt that warning activated when you fill it up to the point where you actually cant power the phone off and back on properly. I'm sure probably why people might have returned the Eris to verzion thinking that they messed up the phone and needed a new one...

like not smart phone savy owners, how are they suppose to know this and/or how to fix it. I mean i'm pretty good with computer and the like, but I assumed I was safe to download apps and such until I saw that warning and was like oh ok, i better delete some apps, i didnt know i needed like half the internal memory free to avoid problems until i searched the issue online

Perhaps you could suggest this idea on google's app site, or to a google app developer to build a accurate memory tracking app that warns you before you get to that point...... sounds like a good suggestion to me

Upvote 0
A little of both is probably the correct answer.

It would have been nice for the Eris to have come with 8 Gb of internal memory so that we could load thousands of random apps, but it didn't.

Since it didn't, people need to be somewhat responsible with what they put on their phone. There is no real need to have every app in the market on there. While some of them may be useful at times, they aren't really needed all the time. I tend to go through and evaluate the apps on my phone pretty regularly. If I notice an app that I have not used in several weeks then I tend to uninstall it. I can always download it again from the market if I discover I need it at some time.

This is how I manage my phone also.

Upvote 0
So, i noticed if you dont have a certain amount of MBs free, if your phone dies or you shut it off, in order to start it back up and it find a signal [and no force close everything] you need at least like 65mb worth of free internal phone space. I have only 93mb of 159mb of internal memory free on my phone, it has died and now once again i have to delete a few apps, restart, and reinstall them to get it working properly again. Is this just me, is there a fix for this somewhere, or is this just an Epic Fail by HTC, cuz it pretty ridiculous that i need that much free space. Its like saying HEY, you got all this space, but you cant use it?

How can you delete apps if the phone is dead? The only way to delete apps is if the phone is on and mounted correct? Maybe I'm wrong about that. IDK..can anyone advise me on that?

PS...I believe TasKiller Free will close apps when the phone powers down. That would eliminate your problem I think.

Upvote 0
How is it that some people have so much room for so many apps on their Eris? I have 88mb left but I don't know where most of the used space is being used, I have no more than 10 apps and they are not large apps, usually a couple hundred kb. Is there something I am not understanding? Help please if you can, thanks.

Look at your text messages, call log, browser cache, and other places applications can cache to your phone and try clearing some things off. Menu>settings>applications>manage applications. It takes a few seconds to load everything. Once it does hit menu again and sort by size. Click on each app one by one and select clear cache on any app that is greater than 1 MB(Browser, Market, and Albums seem to usually have the largest cache). Deleting old texts and your call history will clear up some room as well.

Upvote 0
None of these answers sound very kosher to me. When I got the phone I tried anything I felt like, at one point having appx 20mg free and had no problems. Doesn't it sound pretty unacceptable to say that someone should have as much as 2/3d's of onboard memory free for their phone to work ? If thats the standard we are willing to put up with, thats pretty sad. I'd recommend take it to a local verizon store & have them check it out. It's free & if it's defective they'll replace it

Upvote 0
Its called routine maintenance and its something you have to do with any smartphone if you want it to run smoothly. If you have to preface your problem with "When I first got my phone it didn't do this" then I'm guessing you need to go thru and clean up a bit. I shouldnt think you would need to do it every 2 or 3 days, but 5 minutes once a week doesn't seem like should be that much of a PITA.

Upvote 0
When I first got my phone, I had downloaded so many apps that I was down to around 20mb or so of free memory and the phone would reboot just fine. No force closes or anything funny. It was definitely a lot slower that way and now that I am over the initial app craze I keep it much more lean. Point being though, I think that there may be something wrong with you phone and agree with heywood in that you should probably take it by a vzw store and have a tech take a look at it, or just call the 1800 warranty number and they will just send you another eris in the mail, free of charge (as long as your phone isn't physically damaged and you remember to send it back to them).

Upvote 0
40 mb free, no problems whatsoever. running 1.5.

Yeah, mine's often around the same on 1.5, then I do maintenance. ;)

Methinks many folks do two things that wind up with posts here reporting lag, "dead" phones, random this-or-that: load up with aps and load up with messages/emails and with little or no clean-out.

Some of the problems are also just caused by the occasional rogue application, often a task killer, as we've seen posted many times.

Not Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
or just call the 1800 warranty number and they will just send you another eris in the mail, free of charge (as long as your phone isn't physically damaged and you remember to send it back to them).

They are actually so lazy, or ill informed as to how to troubleshoot something that their standard answer after spending a few min with you is just to have a new one sent out. For a phone, that if i were joe blow and simply wanted to buy it they'd charge upwards of high $300 thats pretty lame, just think of the e-waste alone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones