• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Major Galaxy S4 Screen Problem!

KieranR277

Lurker
May 2, 2013
I am having a really bad problem in my Galaxy S4, and have been trying to fix it for a full day.

Basically, many of the default android apps fail to work. By fail, I mean the screen becomes fuzzy, or completely distorted, and just crashes. The phone also randomly restarts when I use it.

Overall, I really can't use the phone. I have attached screenshots of some of the issues I am facing on the phone.

I have tried reinstalling Android version 4.2.2, but the same problem occurs.

Any help on this matter would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 88
It could be a faulty device, but I do notice that it looks like you have a faulty external SD card. When I had mine stop working on my S2, it made the whole phone run like a piece of junk. Take out that card and see if things improve. If not, take it back.

Actually, I don't have any SD card in my phone right now :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think the phone probably is faulty, although I want to try and get it fixed before sending it back and losing the phone for a while!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums! :)

What a bummer with a new phone. :(

I think these cats are 100% right - it's a faulty unit, don't fight it.

However - in my experience, the first thing they do when you take it back is a factory data reset to check things - that clears out all apps, data, your settings - and those wonderful Android caches. When the caches are hosed, anything can happen.

Because I once got a sealed, absolutely brand-new for-sure phone once with dirty caches, right from the factory, I've taken to starting out with any new phone with a factory data reset.

There's probably a one-in-a-zillion chance that this is that, but it won't hurt to try.

Do that, when it comes up, it'll want your Gmail address to start over again - give it that, but don't install anything else. Just give it a spin. If it's still hosed, you know you've done your best and it has to be hardware.

Check your contacts are still safe on the web via Gmail and backup anything you put on and want (like pictures or whatever) before doing the factory data reset.

Before returning to shop/vendor, factory data reset again, clear out everything for your privacy and let them know that you did that and it didn't fix the problem.

Let us know what happens, best luck!

PS -

Can't you take it into your nearest Sprint store?

Pretty well guarantee that the answer to that is no, not a Sprint phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your advice guys! And my suspicions seems to be confirmed that its a fauly device. I have actually already did countless resets and cache cleans and nothing works. I guess this confirms its a fault phone. I got the phone from an online retailer and they have promised me a refund if its fault so I think ill just go down that route.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones