• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Major Issues with Bluetooth Peripherals

Stang70Fastback

Jul 31, 2010
Hey guys. So I got a Logitech Tablet Keyboard (Bluetooth) for my birthday - in order to use with my Note 3. As a result, I went out and bought a Logitech T631 Mouse (Bluetooth) to also use, so that I could have a sort of mini workstation (paired with something like Splashtop, my Note pretty much becomes my laptop.)

The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to maintain any sort of decent connection with these devices with the Note. Out of curiosity, I went ahead and tried them out with my laptop. Both are working flawlessly, and have been for the past 20 minutes. However, I seem to get massive interference issues on my Note. They keyboard doesn't seem to want to maintain a stable connection (constantly dropping characters) and the mouse stutters moving around the screen. One without the other seems to work better, but they keyboard still misses many characters. I tried turning off my Note's WiFi to see if that was interfering (I had heard WiFi could do so) which did have an effect (see below) but then again my laptop is also on WiFi and can use both of these peripherals without issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

EDIT: Upon review, WiFi does seem to have an impact. On WiFi, I noticed the mouse becomes completely useless while I load a webpage. Turning WiFi off seems to make everything run more smoothly. Then again, the issue is not fixed. My keyboard seems to drop a key every few seconds (when it happens, I get a little "English (US)" pop-up on the screen as if it lost the connection for a second. The mouse seems mostly smooth with WiFi off. Ugh.

EDIT 2: Okay, so I've narrowed down what appears to be at least a MAJOR part of my issue with the keyboard. Apparetly I can't push both the shift key and the spacebar at the same time. I mean, I can, but that is what results in the pop-up "English (US)" message, and the missed next character I type. I'm not pressing shift+space on purpose, but it just happens when I type "I" as a capital. Anyone know what Shift+Space is trying to toggle on my phone, and if there is any way to disable it? Still won't solve my WiFi issue but it's a step in the right direction!

After doing a little digging, it appears that Samsung is really stupid about this stuff.

When I connect a bluetooth keyboard, my phone FORCES me to switch my input method from SwiftKey to the Samsung Keyboard. Not sure why this is necessary, but if Samsung wants to be pig-headed about it, then fine.

UN-fortunately, their keyboard has this nifty feature where Shift+Space toggles the input language. It is apparent that whomever was in charge of all this input stuff never bothered to actually stick an external keyboard on their device. Otherwise you would quickly realize that you can't link Shift+Space to a shortcut, because that key combination is hit VERY frequently when typing. It renders the external keyboard almost entirely useless!

If you do a search for "Shift+Space Android" you will find all sorts of discussion on this topic. You would think they would offer an option to disable that shortcut. Instead it looks like I am going to have to sift through a bunch of shady-looking apps in the Play Store to find one that can help resolve my problem. The fact that I need to now have another app running in the background to detect when I connect a Bluetooth keyboard is rather ridiculous. I wish I could completely disable the Samsung keyboard. What's the point of advertising these devices using all these peripherals when it doesn't work? Even if I can get this issue resolved, this does nothing to solve the fact that I can't have WiFi on while using them, or the connection goes to hell.

Upvote 0
So, it would seem that my connection issue is 100% related to whether or not the device has WiFi enabled. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this issue? Why is it that my laptop can use WiFi without causing interference, but the second I toggle WiFi on my Note, the mouse and keyboard act as if they are 40 feet away?

EDIT: Even more interesting. I used the Speedtest.net app to see if WiFi was affected when using the devices.

Both off: Upload 10 mb/s, Download 10 mb/s
Mouse on: Upload 10 mb/s, Download 10 mb/s
Keyboard on: Upload 10 mb/s, Download 10 mb/s
Both on: Upload 0.8 mb/s, Download 10 mb/s (keyboard and mouse completely non-functional during test... the keyboard actually got completely disconnected.)

So it seems that when I have BOTH devices on, my ability to RECEIVE data via WiFi basically goes to hell, and attempting to do so wreaks havoc on both devices. And yet, uploads are fine. WTF?! This very specific behavior, coupled with the fact that, as mentioned previously, my laptop seems to work without issue, makes me wonder what the hell the WiFi chip on the Note 3 is doing when it is transmitting...

Upvote 0
Goodness, I Bluetooth keyboard and mouse 3 hours a day and routinely switch from whatever keyboard to Null keyboard. No problem.

Do you have issues using the keyboard and mouse with WiFi enabled? This seems to be my biggest issue at the moment. I was able to set up a Trigger mode to allow me to easily change the keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones