1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Major Root Problems :/

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dezzymew, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Dezzymew

Dezzymew Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    Male
    Hey!

I have a Galaxy Note 2 SGH-i317

I bought it on Craigslist with a custom rom that I'm trying to remove.

I cant get any computer to recognize the device even using Kies. Ive tried it on Win xp, Win 7, Win 8 (current laptop), and a ubuntu computer.

When I got it didn't have any OS on it. All it had was TWRP on it. I copied a bunch of roms to a SD card and only one would install. Its called OMNI.

Long story short I hate OMNI. One of my friends has a galaxy note 2 with the stock ROM and its much much much better.

So I tried everything to install a new ROM, but it needs to be rooted first. I tried to root it with a computer, but it wont recognize the device. I figured the usb cable was crap, so I replaced it. (tried 5 total 3 of which were new). When that didn't work I noticed the plug for the phone was slightly bent so I got a new one online and installed it. Still didn't work.

So I went for a non computer rooting option and found framaroot. I try to install it, but my partition is apparently in read only mode.

From there I went and installed Total Commander and tried this to change it from read only to read - write:

Tip: How To Enable Writing To Read-Only Partitions (Remount R/W) In Total Commander For Android

I dont know where to go from here. Ive rooted a few of these with a computer before, but with it not recognizing anything I have no idea what to do. If anyone has any help they can offer I'd really really appreciate it. My copy of ODIN is really buggy and apps freeze commonly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Advertisement

2. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    First of all I would try the following, subject to you having still a fully functional custom recovery (TWRP) on the device - by-the-way, if Omni installed then which version of JB was it? If it was KitKat 4.4 then the problem would be that the file structure changed significantly from JB 4.1.2.

Before you take the steps below you need to find and download a stock TW ROM of your choice, this can be either non-rooted or pre-rooted (your preference). You can find some over at XDA forum AT&T Galaxy Note II Android Development - xda-developers - there are several custom, but stock based ROMS and one I can recommend is Ditto DN3, however, there is also a completely stock based and rooted one amongst the many choices. The advantage of these ROMs is that you get a .zip file that you can put either on the internal sd card, or better still, if you have an external one put it on there.

Anyway, 1. go into recovery and select Wipe then tick all options available, i.e. completely remove everything (cache, dalvik, internal storage, data).

2. After step one is complete, reboot into your recovery, select the file you downloaded from XDA and flash it. Note: the stock based ROM is likely to just start flashing after you select it without any input required. The Ditto one allows you to choose what you want to flash besides the main ROM, such as bloat ware from Samsung and modems, by means of the so called aroma installer (akin to a windows software installer package which enables the user to choose what elements he wants).

After you get the message "success" it will reboot the phone and start the initial setup. On some ROMs this can take up to 10+ minutes.

3. Dezzymew

Dezzymew Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    Male
    thank you very much!

Its downloading (very slowly) and i'll give it a try and see what happens.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to help me out :)

4. heat57

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Sorry, forgot to mention, if you put the flashable zip on trhe internal memory my suggestion to wipe everythin would also wipe the file you intend to flash, so no go there, unless you 'sideload' the file then through an adb connection, which will flash it after downloading to the device automatically.

However, this requires pre-requisites on your PC to be in place, so much more complicated. May I strongly suggest you use an external micro SD, they are cheap enough these days. Good luck.

5. Dezzymew

Dezzymew Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    Male
    GOT IT!

Ok I havent tried connecting it to the pc yet but I ended up getting Cyanogen to install and its much better. Had a few hickups while I researched how to get the google apps to work, but now thats all sorted.

I tried the Ditto Dn3, but it wouldnt boot. It would install and say it was successful but it wouldnt boot correctly.

I also tried the MeanBean one, but the wifi wouldnt work with it. The interface also seemed a tad cluttered, though closer to the orig. layout my friends note 2 has.

I also decided to keep a copy of Cyanogen and Omni on my external just in case I run into any major problems in the future.

Just getting it to run this fast is great! Its so fast and its not even a new phone!

Thanks again for all the help guys! I'll be sure to refer my other android friends to the forum and check in now and then to see new posts.:)

6. heat57

None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    You're welcome!

7. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    One more thing I did not see mentioned, is since you bought it on CL, I hope it is a legit phone, if not then you might have a fake, also what carrier are you going to hook the device on so I can move this to the root subforum for more help and support.

Kingo Root is another option

8. Dezzymew

Dezzymew Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2014
    Male
    Ive been using it with ATT with the old OS, it was just really slow and buggie.

Im still using it with ATT and its working a lot better.

Another thing I noticed was how hot the phone would get after a few hours of running a gameboy emulator or watching a movie. It just seemed to hold a lot of heat for some reason.

I fixed this by opening it up and replacing the cheap heat sync sticker with some Artic Silver heat sync. No problems with it since. It also seems to run a little faster on the graphic heavy games and the HD videos.