1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Major Security Hole in Google Wallet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mysterioustko, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011

Advertisement

2. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    Broken link.

Edit: If you search Google wallet you'll see the article.

The moral is, don't lose your phone.

3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Yeah the thing to remember is they can't do it without having your phone in their posession, and be able to get past the lockscreen. Basically its still much less risky to use Google wallet than using a real wallet.

Crashumbc likes this.
  4. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    IT god
    B'more
    If you have unhindered physical access to a device you can hack it... news at eleven...

Although, I'm not concerned that the world is ending, it does highlight the need for personal responsibility with your device. I.E. the same way you immediately cancel your cards if your wallet is lost/stolen you need to disable google wallet if your device is lost/stolen.

First whether or not you use, wallet. Using a portable device such as this WITHOUT the lock screen enable is just plain stupid, sorry but it is.

5. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I agree. It would seem the lesson here is that no matter which method a person uses to access Google Wallet, both require them to be able to enter the phone. If you have it locked with a pin or pattern, this will lessen the probability of someone being able to do it.

6. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves
    Well Im still a little skeptical about this whole Google Wallet thing. I am just using it as a quick mcdonalds coffee deal (That and I like showing off to people :)) and never use it unless I have too. Even if Visa brings support, im going to have to think long and hard about putting my entire account on my phone. Just seems a little risky.

7. BiggestManEver

None

Jul 7, 2010
    Can't get past my lock screen, so there's no problem here. Also, my phone isn't rooted, so no problem here. Also, I've never lost my phone (or actual wallet), so no problem here.

8. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Newbie
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    All in all I don't consider it to be any more risky than carrying a credit card. Think about it this way, if you lose your credit card a person will have the card number just by looking at it and could easily use it to make purchases. At least with the Google Wallet hacks, though they are easy to do at least there's a barrier for a hacker to cross in order to do so. Bear in mind if you pin lock your device it will be that much harder for them to access your Google Wallet.

9. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves

Oh I agree, I think its more the idea of everything being accessible from my phone that has me a little wary. I know for the most part its totally secure, its just the idea that everything can be accessed digitally and that there are FAR smarter, more diabolical people out there than me that has me scared.

10. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    I figure a lost phone might be noticed before a lost credit card, at least in most cases. And anyways, you just... find another phone... to call the credit card company and put a stop on the card, disaster averted. I'd be more worried about a lost phone!

Can you put a 'cancel' on the google gift/charge card in the event of a stolen phone, to freeze the funds? If they don't offer that feature, they should!

11. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Forget lost wallet. Hand it to a waitress at a restaurant, they take it to the back, where they can simply write down your card info and use it online. ;) If anything, I would rather use nfc, security-wise, than a physical card.

If someone steals my phone, they'd need to know that I had Wallet, how to change the pin as described above, get past my lock screen, find a store where wallet is accepted, and do all that before I realize my phone is gone and remote wipe it. ;)

12. blackyblackguy

None

Dec 18, 2011
    Isnt this basically the same thing as losing your wallet? so the real moral of the story is to keep an eye on your stuff and dont lose it.

Tags: