• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major Security Hole in Google Wallet

mysterioustko

Jun 13, 2011
If you have unhindered physical access to a device you can hack it... news at eleven...

Although, I'm not concerned that the world is ending, it does highlight the need for personal responsibility with your device. I.E. the same way you immediately cancel your cards if your wallet is lost/stolen you need to disable google wallet if your device is lost/stolen.

First whether or not you use, wallet. Using a portable device such as this WITHOUT the lock screen enable is just plain stupid, sorry but it is.

Upvote 0
Well Im still a little skeptical about this whole Google Wallet thing. I am just using it as a quick mcdonalds coffee deal (That and I like showing off to people :)) and never use it unless I have too. Even if Visa brings support, im going to have to think long and hard about putting my entire account on my phone. Just seems a little risky.

All in all I don't consider it to be any more risky than carrying a credit card. Think about it this way, if you lose your credit card a person will have the card number just by looking at it and could easily use it to make purchases. At least with the Google Wallet hacks, though they are easy to do at least there's a barrier for a hacker to cross in order to do so. Bear in mind if you pin lock your device it will be that much harder for them to access your Google Wallet.

Upvote 0
All in all I don't consider it to be any more risky than carrying a credit card. Think about it this way, if you lose your credit card a person will have the card number just by looking at it and could easily use it to make purchases. At least with the Google Wallet hacks, though they are easy to do at least there's a barrier for a hacker to cross in order to do so. Bear in mind if you pin lock your device it will be that much harder for them to access your Google Wallet.

Oh I agree, I think its more the idea of everything being accessible from my phone that has me a little wary. I know for the most part its totally secure, its just the idea that everything can be accessed digitally and that there are FAR smarter, more diabolical people out there than me that has me scared.

Upvote 0
I figure a lost phone might be noticed before a lost credit card, at least in most cases. And anyways, you just... find another phone... to call the credit card company and put a stop on the card, disaster averted. I'd be more worried about a lost phone!

Can you put a 'cancel' on the google gift/charge card in the event of a stolen phone, to freeze the funds? If they don't offer that feature, they should!

Upvote 0
I figure a lost phone might be noticed before a lost credit card, at least in most cases. And anyways, you just... find another phone... to call the credit card company and put a stop on the card, disaster averted. I'd be more worried about a lost phone!
!

Forget lost wallet. Hand it to a waitress at a restaurant, they take it to the back, where they can simply write down your card info and use it online. ;) If anything, I would rather use nfc, security-wise, than a physical card.

If someone steals my phone, they'd need to know that I had Wallet, how to change the pin as described above, get past my lock screen, find a store where wallet is accepted, and do all that before I realize my phone is gone and remote wipe it. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones