• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g

Mr. Ed:

Have you seen this thread? http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/374333-sprint-prl-update.html

I'm intrigued about the posts by "digiblur" and his explanation of PRLs. I've done the fixes you recommend in this post and I know that my speeds increased dramatically (from 30kbps to 800kbps). So what does the PRL updating (or not updating) have to do with 3G speeds? I'm not trying to stir the pot...I'm very happy with the results from your procedure...I'm just up late and trying to understand this whole PRL conundrum.

I have stressed numerous times that it isnt the prl that increases the speeds. It is the updating of the data profile that gives us the increase. He may be able to help us answer why. I havent had time to jack with it further.

Upvote 0
I have a rooted Evo. I rooted with unrevoked. I've got the msl reader. When I go to phone and enter ##3282# I don't have an option to go to edit. I've read through this thread and it says it only works with a stock sense ROM. I haven't installed any custom ROM's so I assume I have the stock rooted ROM. How do I tell if I do have a stock ROM or not? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm new to all of this.

Upvote 0
I have a rooted Evo. I rooted with unrevoked. I've got the msl reader. When I go to phone and enter ##3282# I don't have an option to go to edit. I've read through this thread and it says it only works with a stock sense ROM. I haven't installed any custom ROM's so I assume I have the stock rooted ROM. How do I tell if I do have a stock ROM or not? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm new to all of this.

You need to find and install a working epst.apk

Upvote 0
When finishing the process and my evo starts the free hands activation do i let it update the prl or cancel it so far i have been canceling it and im still stuck with my slow speeds around .15mbs:(

try a battery pull

you may have a tower out :(

in a few cases ...letting the update complete works...but for the most part you want to update prl, then update data and cancel the prl update during the handsfree activation

Upvote 0
I haven't been too terribly concerned as I use WiFi at home and the trip from VA to FLA a few weeks ago, plus all around the Ma/Ct region my EVO was doing fairly well. I even managed to upload a short, 30 second video, and about a dozen photos while on a Whale watching cruise about 10 miles north of Provincetown Ma. (out in the North Atlantic ocean) plus I streamed justin.tv for about 15 minutes as well. So overall zero complaints.

However....I can't resist messing with things so I did the prl then profile update.

Before:

down: about 500-550 kbps
up: about 375-400 kbps

After:
down: about 950 kbps +
up: about 400-450 kbps

Even though I dropped a tad in upload speed my d/l speeds increased dramatically and thats with a 92-100 -dbm signal strength where I am right now.

I am very pleased :)

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
i did this and dont know where i went wrong. i got a error code 67. then a hands free activation>contacting network. now my internet doesn't work. tried to revert the settings, but still no data connection. any suggestion?

I have had problems after doing it as well sometimes. Try redoing it with a good signal see what happens, or just do a profile update. If neither works call sprint and have them push an update to ya.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted using Mikfroyo and am having the same problem. Phone times out during activation and now I have no 3G.:(

EDIT: I tried to update PRL but it doesn't do anything. I called Sprint, and after 30mins on hold, I talked to a "supervisor" who just said he'd send out a reboot signal to my phone. I pulled the battery and after rebooting, the activation went through. I canceled before the PRL could update. I have internet again. My results are as follows:

Average Before:
PING: 225ms
Download: 192kbps
Upload: 290kbps

Average After:
PING: 195ms
Download: 1680kbps
Upload: 395kbps

So we'll see how long it lasts. I'll also report back if this test translates into real world noticeable improvement.

Upvote 0
Hi, new to the forum but having a problem here. I have a rooted htc evo 4g with fresh rom. I am trying to use this method but I press ##3282 and when I hit pound again the number disappears and the dialpad freezes to the point where I have to hit the home button to return. Any suggestions?

pardon my dumbness, but i cannot remember if fresh is an aosp rom? you need to be on a sense rom for this to work... if fresh is a sense, then nandroid your setup, flash a different sense rom, if your on an aosp, nandroid, flash to a sense, do the procedure, then nandroid back to aosp.... does that make sense? :p

EDIT - welcome to the forums, by the way...

Upvote 0
pardon my dumbness, but i cannot remember if fresh is an aosp rom? you need to be on a sense rom for this to work... if fresh is a sense, then nandroid your setup, flash a different sense rom, if your on an aosp, nandroid, flash to a sense, do the procedure, then nandroid back to aosp.... does that make sense? :p

EDIT - welcome to the forums, by the way...
I am having this problem too on fresh, although it is a sense based rom. Any suggestions for a different sense based rom, or anything else i could try?

Upvote 0
Guys I apologize for not being as active as I was...I have to rely on other Sprint/Evo members to help you out.

I have not had my Evo, or Sprint since August

Previously three things were needed for this to work correctly.
1. Sense based rom
2. The proper EPST apk in your rom of choice
3. A halfway decent signal from the tower

Upvote 0
Hey, so i followed all these steps and when I got to the last one it didn't ever try to update the prl for me to hit cancel. I am using energy rom and under the settings there is no option to update prl. could this have anything to do with it. What ROM should I use to make this work?

I believe Energy is a Sense 3.5 ROM ported from a Verizon phone, so I would assume you need to flash a sprint-based sense rom like Fresh, the Evo Classic, MikG, etc. to update PRL and access those ##3282 codes...

Reactions: brothakyle
Upvote 0
Worked like a charm!

My wife's EVO was showing 1x all the time and very slow. Followed the instructions and speeds went from 100 down and 500 up, to 600 down and 1200 up. Still not nearly as fast as the wifi (2100 down and 2000 up) but I am a very satisfied customer.

Running Swagged out stock 2.0.1 Based on the latest sprint update as of this reply. FLashed the latest radio package from Caulkin but that didn't solve the problem either.

Weird thing is that I have 2 EVO's, rooted them both and anything I flashed to my wife's phone, I tried it first to make sure she'd like it. Don't know how she lost the 3g and I never did.....oh well, fixed now!

Many thanks to all the guys (and gals) that figure this stuff out and are kind enough to share their information! :D

Upvote 0
hi, it is saying i need a epst password but i dont have it. what can i do?

If your phone is rooted you can dl MSL Reader and obtain the password that way, if not you'll have to call Sprint and ask for it. Depending on how cool the person on the other end of the phone is will determine whether they give it to you or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones