• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Major update to Play content policy

Google just made a big move two days ago, banning all advertising done via push notifications and home screen icons. In addition, Google tightened security regarding any copying, hate apps or gambling.

This move will surely increase user satisfaction and apps will become much less intrusive. However, companies like Airpush and Startapp are now facing a huge blow to their business model, and many developers can lose substantial income.

It will be interesting to see how things work out.

Upvote 0
Powell (Gemini Calendar developer) posted about it in the push advertising sticky a couple of days ago.

Somebody posted a link to an androidpolice article on this yesterday/this morning, but I can't remember where that post is. The article is here, however.

Airpush will still be able to use interstitials, but the close button will have to be obvious and distinct from the ad (i.e. not designed to cause inadvertent click-through). But the business of placing ads in notification areas or shortcuts on desktops, with no connection to the app that's placing them, is now explicitly forbidden. Given that I, like many others, found this stuff offensive, and given how many people have been scared that their phone has been infected when they encounter this for the first time, I personally don't feel any sympathy for Airpush et al.

Upvote 0
Powell (Gemini Calendar developer) posted about it in the push advertising sticky a couple of days ago.

Somebody posted a link to an androidpolice article on this yesterday/this morning, but I can't remember where that post is. The article is here, however.

Me!

Threads merged, thanks. :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones