1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Make display settings for new Android OS look like Gingerbread's

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by gorbysbm, Aug 1, 2013.

1. gorbysbm

gorbysbm Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    When I look at the display on Android devices where the OS is newer than Gingerbread, my eyes start hurting from the strain. For example, I tried updating my Tmobile G2's ROM from Gingerbread to ICS , then to Jellybean and after hours of tinkering with the display settings my eyes were still hurting. When I gave up and went back to Gingerbread, then my eyes were fine looking at the screen.

My question is: what exactly changed in the display settings in the newer version of the Android oS? Also How can I use an OS like Jellybean or ICS, but make the screen display with the brightness that was available via Gingerbread?

Much thanks for the help
    P.S. I did try the ADW Gignerbread theme, but that mainly changes the look and feel of the icons, not the display

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Is it the actual brightness (light given out) that you dont like? Are you using auto-brightness setting or are you manually setting the brightness? :beer:

3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    More likely the overuse of bright electric blues which ICS and above is chock full of. If I ever root my Nexii it will be partly to change the color back to a more eye-friendly green like GB had.

chanchan05 and funkylogik like this.
  4. gorbysbm

gorbysbm Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    I am manually adjusting the brightness via the Display Settings option. I've tried sliding that dang thing into every position possible.:mad:

I also tried tweaking it with Screen Adjuster app which helped, but I am not sure exactly what settings I'd need to set it to to get things looking exactly like Gingerbread

I am not sure if it's just the brightness setting, I'm sure it's the contrast and possibly RGB settings too...

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I think(?) changing the RGB settings is probably rom or kermnel deep so it would require root.. for brightness, have u tried the LUX app?
    For the UI colours you could change the Launcher and theme but for things like Settings, Notification Panel, Pop Ups etc.. to change the colouring of them youll have to be rooted and use a Framework Mod or custom rom with theming settings :thumbup:

6. gorbysbm

gorbysbm Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks for the ideas. Installing Espier hub's iOS theme (lol) was somewhat helpful. No perfect solution so far. I'll keep at it.

7. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Lol cool :thumbup:
    For a slight example of how things can be changed, this is the android settings menu with a theme on it and the statusbar has been modded (to my liking lol, probably noone elses) View attachment 59052