1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Make my own CWM flashable modem...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotsip81, Apr 30, 2012.

1. lotsip81

lotsip81 Well-Known Member

I need some help for the resident gurus' here.

I would like to flash the modem that came with my last firmware update, but I can't find a download for that modem anywhere. How can I do this myself? I have the MD5 file. So I was wondering can I extract the MD5 file (using 7Zip) until I see the modem (it says its a .bin format), and then just archive it as a .zip? Will that make it a safe CWM flashable file, or am I completely off base here?

Thanks for the help
    lotsip81

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

The easiest way is to take an existing cwm flashable modem open it up and delete the modem.bin. Then add the modem.bin from your firmware to the cwm zip.

lotsip81 likes this.
  3. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Wot he said. :)

Best to use 7zip on your pc to edit the zip file.

4. lotsip81

Ok, so I took a LPS kernel that is CWM flashable, used 7Zip to find it. I double clicked to open the kernel and it showed me a META-INF file, a flash_image file, and a modem.bin file. I deleted the modem.bin file, but how do I add the one that I want?

Also are the other two files gerneric then? Nothing on them needs to be changed?

5. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert

With the 7zip window opened just drop the new modem file into it, close, then you are done.
    No nothing needs to be changed in the other files/folders unless the zip file was originally made to work with a specific rom only (Most modem flashable zips won't be so you should be ok).

lotsip81 likes this.
  6. lotsip81

I must not be understanding something quite right. While in 7Zip I can see the kernel, now without a modem in it, and the modem I want to add. Still in 7zip, it won't let me drag and drop the modem into the kernel from inside 7Zip.

Is the drag and drop part done in the regular folder not in 7Zip or is there something I'm missing?

7. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Just right click the zip file and goto 7zip then open archive.
    From there on in its just windows features ie double click to go into folders, right click delete etc, and once in the correct folder just drag modem.bin file from pc into the zip.

lotsip81 likes this.
  8. lotsip81

Thanks for you help guys, it worked perfect!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews