1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

make one phone exact duplicate of another

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jeffydamer, Jun 29, 2011.

1. jeffydamer

jeffydamer Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    So I recently got the sidekick 4g and had to get a replacement sent. I have everything the way i like and don't want to do it over. So is there a way to backup everything incl personal setting app data etc?

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    The only way is if you rooted your phone, and used a custom recovery like "Clockworkmod" or "Amon Ra". What you would do is do a full phone back up (called a Nandroid backup). Copy the Nandroid over to the new phone, and then try to do a restore (only after you've rooted and installed the custom recovery on the new phone).

PS - I've never done this, and probably would never try. It's not worth the hassle / risk.

jeffydamer likes this.
  3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Even then, copying a nandroid from one phone to another is generally not recommended, since every single phone is different, even if they are the same make and model. Especially for 4g phones, you could overwrite your 4g keys and make your phone a brick.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Yup I agree with that. I would only do this in a desperation case, where I really needed some data that for some reason couldn't be accessible via the original phone.