• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Make web browser forget a user name

haldroidx

Aug 28, 2010
When I originally got my current Android phone, in the built-in Web browser I accidentally mistyped my user name when logging into a website I subscribe to. Ever since then, when I go to that page the browser fills the space for my user name in with the original, mistyped name and I have to enter the correct name. Is there any way to have the incorrect name deleted from the browser, without deleting all memorized form data?

The OS was recently upgraded to 4.1.1. Before that, when I'd click on the incorrect name, a drop-down selection list would appear, containing both the incorrect name and the correct one, so that at least I didn't have to retype the correct one. Now the list contains only the incorrect name, so I actually have to delete it and type the correct one, an even bigger nuisance than before.

Which browser are you using? Chrome, or the browser with the icon that's a blue globe? In either case, there should be an option in the app's settings for remembering passwords and what not. You can try turning that option off, then back on to see if that clears in. In a worsed case scenario, you can try clearing the browser's data. That'll "reset" all of the settings.

Upvote 0
I'm using the built-in browser. Thanks, I did try turning off the "remember password" setting and logging in and out a couple of times, but once I turned "remember password" back on, it remembered the invalid user name again. And, as I said, I would rather not lose *all* my memorized logins!

Upvote 0
I haven't tried this but the thought crossed my mind. What if you synced your passwords to Chrome for your desktop? I'm pretty sure you can edit passwords in Chrome for PC. Then just re-sync Chrome for Android. It seems roundabout but maybe it could work.

Edit: Scratch my idea. I just realized you are using the stock browser and not Chrome.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried this but the thought crossed my mind. What if you synced your passwords to Chrome for your desktop? I'm pretty sure you can edit passwords in Chrome for PC. Then just re-sync Chrome for Android. It seems roundabout but maybe it could work.

Edit: Scratch my idea. I just realized you are using the stock browser and not Chrome.

I think that's a really great idea. If I ever end up in the same spot, I'll have to try and remember that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones