• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Make Your Droid Eris Faster & Smoother, and Increase Battery Life! (How-To)

jsuh

Apr 30, 2010
**UPDATED 10/2/2010**

Hey all Droid Eris owners, just wrote a lengthy post on my blog about improving performance, stability, and battery life on the Droid Eris on my blog at:
http://jonsuh.com/2010/09/make-your-...y-life-how-to/

I included tutorials on:

• Rooting
  • FroyoEris
  • SetCPU
  • AutoKiller
  • LauncherPro
  • GPS Status
  • Dialer One
  • Wireless Tether *Added 9/24/2010*
  • Battery recalibration for extended battery life *Added 9/17/2010*
  • Upgrading radio (July 2010 2.42.01.04.27)
  • Upgrading Kernel (CFS v5) *Updated 9/17/2010*
  • Tweak your settings (Window transitions, VM heap size, Launcher Pro) *Added 9/24/2010*
  • Well known bugs (Camera bug, 3D gallery bug) *ADDED 10/2/2010*

Unroot Your Droid Eris
Unroot Your Droid Eris (How-To) | JonSuh.com

Please be so kind to donate

If this article helped you at all, please be so kind as to donate! I'm not here to get rich, just to help. A lot of research, testing, and time went into writing these articles. Click here to DONATE

I referenced a lot of posts and resources here on this forum, and wanted to see and get your help on the content of the article and to see if the tips I provided are good, and if there are better or more things I can add.

I feel the people here at know how to make the Eris like it should!

All and any help you can provide would be great!

• Upgrading radio (July 2010 2.42.01.04.27)

My only comment is this: While I realize that Andrizoid recently posted that he was unable to brick his Eris by flashing a bad radio, or pulling battery in mid-flash, I believe that it is still considered far more risky to flash a radio than to flash a ROM. I think that you should caution people that they should only flash a new radio if they are having problems, such as the silent audio bug or obviously bad reception issues.

You should definitely tell people that they should check the MD5 hash on their SD card before they attempt to flash the radio (and probably explain what an MD5 hash is and how to determine it.)

Upvote 0
You should definitely tell people that they should check the MD5 hash on their SD card before they attempt to flash the radio (and probably explain what an MD5 hash is and how to determine it.)

+1, doogald (i.e., "mini-eu1", IMHO :D).

Reference if you will:

[Begging] Devs - please publish your MD5's - Page 3 - xda-developers (this particular post, but the OP too)

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/138831-verify-your-files-md5-checksums.html

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/168942-phone-rom-checksum-verifier.html

Upvote 0
Running XTR and loving it! Backed up my phone using Nandroid.
What if i want to wipe and do a fresh install of the next new ver of a ROM..say a new version of XTR. I know there is a way to backup all my google apps.
Can you please explain?

thank you!

All of your Google data - gmail, contacts, Google calendars - I think that you already know that they are automatically backed up.

Here is what I usually do when I know I will install a ROM from scratch: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/170728-rom-hopping.html#post1542237

Plus, for some more info, if you want to skip using Titanium: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/177658-moving-apps-after-root.html#post1594635

Upvote 0
AutoKiller really chewed my battery. Prior to AK I got at least 48 hours with moderate use. After AK with same use - 12 hours tops.

No other apps are changes were added at that time. So it is a fair comparison.
AK seems to be more of a preference, some use it, some don't. I keep it on Moderate/Optimum. I used to have it on Strict a month ago, but toned it down and I like it better lower.

Haven't tried it with AK off. Should be worth a try for me. Thx for the info

Upvote 0
AK seems to be more of a preference, some use it, some don't. I keep it on Moderate/Optimum. I used to have it on Strict a month ago, but toned it down and I like it better lower.

Haven't tried it with AK off. Should be worth a try for me. Thx for the info

My guess is that it chews up the battery in its attempt to keep things closed. This is kind of a Catch 22.

At this point I rather leave some things open and preserve the battery.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, while Autokiller has a task manager built-in (sort of like System Panel), the actual killing is done by Android's internal processes. Autokiller merely changes the parameters that Android's memory management routines use to keep more RAM free, as opposed to something like ATK, which is always running and kills things on a schedule (on everything less than 2.2, I believe.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones