1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Making a clean start

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thecarlsoncrew, Apr 16, 2011.

1. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    After a long and ugly process involving a severe bricking and multiple rebuilds, I've SBF'd/flashed my way back into a working Android OS and then into a clean GB install and made a successful backup through ROM Manager (I'd just like to take a moment to say thank you to all the GENIUSES who've made all of this possible, and the SUPER-NICE GENIUSES who are willing to help noobs like me who've gotten in over their heads fix what's been broken!).

Anyway, my on board installation is as clean as it's ever going to be right now, but my sdcard is an absolute train wreck (I've copied the entire 7GB+ to my desktop PC, so I've got all of those files backed up in case I need them later). Now I'd like to free up as much space as possible for some new ROMs, lots of backups, and to just generally get rid of unnecessary clutter that may get in the way of new clean app installs and clean backups.

My question is: how do I clean up all the junk on the sdcard without killing something and having to restart the whole process over again? I'm not worried about reinstalling apps since I've got Titanium Backup and have tested it successfully. However, if I blow away the directory structure of a particular app, will TB restore exactly what needs to be there for the app to function properly, thus putting it back into a 'clean' install condition?

If this cleanup effort is as simple as going on a rampage with Root Explorer, are there any directories/files that must not be touched, or is everything on the sdcard fair game?

Given my recent experience, I'm not going to do anything without a crystal clear understanding of what is involved, but I'd like to get this cleaned up if I can. So, anyone got some suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    Well since you backed up everything from your SD Card to your PC I don"t see how you could do something that could not be corrected. I recently cleaned up my "train wreck" of a card also. I first went into my card via Astro (any file manager is fine). First pick all the files and folders you know can be removed. Long press on the file or folder and then press edit then delete. Anything that looked suspicious I would not mess with.

thecarlsoncrew likes this.
  3. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    Everything appears to be working fine, I haven't noticed any problems yet. Thanks for your help!