• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making blocked numbers get "phone switched off" rather than "number busy"

JesusFarted

Lurker
Oct 13, 2014
So I've got an S5 and I was wondering if there was any way I could make blocked numbers get a "phone switched off" message rather than a "number busy" message when they call me. It's just that "number busy" will sort of give it away that they are blocked and I would rather them just get a "phone switched off" message.

Anyway to do that?

Thanks in advance :)

Where/how are you blocking the numbers? I'm not sure what you mean by "messages".

When a phone is switched off, calls will go straight to voicemail (or more accurately, the "forward when unreachable" number, which defaults to voicemail). You can set specific contacts to forward straight to voicemail, which would give the appearance that your phone is turned off, but the caller would have to be listed in your contacts. I have a contact named "do not answer", that forwards directly to voicemail without ringing my phone. Any time I get a spam call I add the calling number to this contact. I use this combined with Google Voice voicemail, with then plays a recording telling the caller that the number is not in service, and it doesn't let them leave a voicemail.

Upvote 0
Where/how are you blocking the numbers? I'm not sure what you mean by "messages".

When a phone is switched off, calls will go straight to voicemail (or more accurately, the "forward when unreachable" number, which defaults to voicemail). You can set specific contacts to forward straight to voicemail, which would give the appearance that your phone is turned off, but the caller would have to be listed in your contacts. I have a contact named "do not answer", that forwards directly to voicemail without ringing my phone. Any time I get a spam call I add the calling number to this contact. I use this combined with Google Voice voicemail, with then plays a recording telling the caller that the number is not in service, and it doesn't let them leave a voicemail.

Hi Mike,

The way I'm blocking numbers is by adding them to my reject list, is that what you do as well? What you described is exactly what I'm looking for, could you tell me exactly how you did that?

Upvote 0
First, I have a contact named "Do not answer" that I've set to immediately forward to voicemail (open the contact in the People app, tap the overflow button (3 dots) and check "all calls to voicemail").

Second, I have a full Google Voice account (not just voicemail only). In the web interface I blocked the " Do not answer" contact. This is what causes the callers to get the "out of service" message.

Lastly, I set my conditional call forwarding to forward to my Google Voice number. How to do this depends on your carrier. Some carriers won't let you do it at all (MVNOs on T-Mobile, there may be others). On GSM carriers, you would dial *004*[dest]#, where [dest] is your Google Voice number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones