• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help making calls drops to 1 bar, off calls 4 bars??

baa269

Jan 3, 2010
Ok i know this had been discussed in numerous threads but i dont have the time to sit here and read threads from 2009 about it. i have 4 bars 3g all the time... i make a call it drops to 1 bar or 0 and then call signal is lost. i have latest baseband 43 and changed voc to b in ##program, *228 and reprogrammed that way buts its still doing the same thing. Verizon escalated issue 4 TIMES before giving me an answer 50+ days dealing with this since june 1st. Theyre answer was they were going to send me a network extender free but i dont have a cable modem and they said that they cant guaratee itll work as good on a dsl line.... So in short what do i do? leave VZW for sprint? im not paying extra for text and capped data with att...

sounds very filmilar to my problem where i live, i have 3-4 3G bars, but making a call drops down to nothing, i have gone back and forth with verizon about this, they claim because im "on the edge of the coverage area" there is nothing they can do about it but send a tech out to inspect the nearest cell tower to boost the signal output, apparently the cell tower is about 7 miles away, now that should give me good service you would think, personally i love verizon, but their customer service could be alot better, as far as your question, my opinion id stick with verizon, ive always hated sprint

Upvote 0
Ya, I'm pretty sure the signal for 3G and the signal used for voice are not the same, so it's entirely possible based on your location and proximity to towers that you could have varying degrees of performance depending on the signal being received. If you've already updated basebands and done the programming then there's really nothing else you can do. It's probably just a consequence of your location, the phone itself and your area's service.

Upvote 0
I have same problem with signal dropping from 4 bars to 1 bar when initiating calls. Tried the *228, checking for airplane mode, voice privacy, power cycling phone ...etc, etc.

Leaning towards an unknown app/system conflict for the following reasons:

1) Enjoyed months of normal use and multiple downloaded apps with no problem experienced.

2) Unrelated intermittent system conflicts have occurred with downloaded apps like scanner radio, which have caused my phone calls to be one-sided. Specifically, I have stopped but not exited the app while I make a call, and though my call goes through and I hear the 2nd party loud and clear, they hear dead air from their side.

:thinking:

Unfortunately this theory of app/system conflict breaks down with the following; some posting to threads have stated similar problems of signal loss on calling, so they return their phone to factory spec but continue to have same problem.

I am open to any reasonable arguments to this so let me hear your thoughts.

I have no plans to return phone as I would like to think there is some solution. Nevertheless, I have be known to be somewhat mule-headed in my resolve.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones