• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making friends/family use GV

tmette

Dec 11, 2009
Illinois
So now that I can call people directly from my computer with GV (new Gmail integration), I'm really considering telling all my friends to use my new GV number. Right now some of them have my GV number but never call it, just my regular cell number. How did some of you make your friends use the GV number instead of your old one? Maybe I should just steal all their phones when they go to the bathroom or something and program it in myself?

I'm wondering if it will add any extra charges through their cell plan. I picked a number that doesn't have an area code of where I actually live, it's actually a city about 4 hours away. That's the main thing I'm worried about, I don't want them to have to have any additional fees when they call/text my GV number.

Any advice?

I have everyone "trained", there was a learning curve but they eventually got it. Everyone uses my GV for texts and those who don't have Verizon or are calling from a landline (mostly now) dial my GV number. There are a few holdouts and they will never call my GV so I just have to deal with that. Anyway, some have me listed with both numbers and some with just GV but I'm at least at the point where they always text to GV now.
As far as long distance or toll charges go I don't think it's a concern. Cell phones don't differentiate between long distance and local and most home phone service doesn't either. Years ago it would have been an issue, but not so much today. If you have a friend/family member that has an archaic home/landline phone plan then they may have to pay but I seriously doubt it's going to be a problem for 99.9% of people in general.

Reactions: tmette
Upvote 0
When they call you on the wrong number don't answer, let it go to voice mail then call them back from your GV number and tell them to update their contacts. OH...change the GV greeting for the stubborn ones to "I'm not kidding, call me on my other number" or "Are you learning impaired? Call my other number". LOL. You sometimes have to be firm. :)

Reactions: tmette
Upvote 0
When they call you on the wrong number don't answer, let it go to voice mail then call them back from your GV number and tell them to update their contacts. OH...change the GV greeting for the stubborn ones to "I'm not kidding, call me on my other number" or "Are you learning impaired? Call my other number". LOL. You sometimes have to be firm. :)

Haha, good idea of using a different VM greeting for those stubborn ones!

Upvote 0
So now that I can call people directly from my computer with GV (new Gmail integration), I'm really considering telling all my friends to use my new GV number. Right now some of them have my GV number but never call it, just my regular cell number. How did some of you make your friends use the GV number instead of your old one? Maybe I should just steal all their phones when they go to the bathroom or something and program it in myself?

I'm wondering if it will add any extra charges through their cell plan. I picked a number that doesn't have an area code of where I actually live, it's actually a city about 4 hours away. That's the main thing I'm worried about, I don't want them to have to have any additional fees when they call/text my GV number.

Any advice?

I have everyone "trained", there was a learning curve but they eventually got it. Everyone uses my GV for texts and those who don't have Verizon or are calling from a landline (mostly now) dial my GV number. There are a few holdouts and they will never call my GV so I just have to deal with that. Anyway, some have me listed with both numbers and some with just GV but I'm at least at the point where they always text to GV now.
As far as long distance or toll charges go I don't think it's a concern. Cell phones don't differentiate between long distance and local and most home phone service doesn't either. Years ago it would have been an issue, but not so much today. If you have a friend/family member that has an archaic home/landline phone plan then they may have to pay but I seriously doubt it's going to be a problem for 99.9% of people in general.

Bingo - spot on advice.

I've been using my GV number as my only number since December of last year. I sent out a bunch of text messages and emails telling people that I changed phone numbers.

All but a couple now use my GV number.

I still need to do this so I can drop my texting lol....

I've already started sending out my GV number(s) in my email(s)....

Well, I'll try my hardest. I know a lot of them have it saved under my Contact name in their phone..but it's not the default number to call me.

Send 2 sets of SMS via GV - the first one advising that you are changing your number permanently and that hte old number will no longer work after a certain period of time (give them like a weke or two).

Send a follow-up SMS doing the same thing, reminding them that hte number expires in a few days.

Finally, make all your calls go through GV so they never see your old number again. That will get most of them over that hold out.

Finally, as they said - ignore all calls coming in directly to your phone for a month. And make sure GV is your VM provider as well.

Haha, good idea of using a different VM greeting for those stubborn ones!

But, if they call your GV number and it goes to VM then won't they get the same message?

If not, then I am in heaven - and moving to GV permanently as of this minute. OK, well, tomorrow, as it is late and I don't want to SMS 200 ppl this late lol...

Upvote 0
Well, now that you point it out...they will get the same greeting. I hate it when logic and fact interfere with fun!
Just keep reminding them, most will eventually catch on. When someone would send a text to my wrong number I would respond from GV with "yoo-hoo, over here". Just do the same with calls...it takes a while but they will get it.

Upvote 0
But, if they call your GV number and it goes to VM then won't they get the same message?

I agree if they call the GV number they would get your GV message but weren't we talking about people who refuse to change to the GV number (GV holdouts). maybe I missed something?? If they call the 'old' number won't they get the 'old' voicemail (if you don't forward it to GV). The 'old' voicemail could simply state that you have a new number and you won't get a message if they leave it.

I agree with the rest of what has been said except for the part about the land line and long distance. Because of cell phones i would guess that most people who have traditional land lines (not voip/other) don't have long distance. I'm forced to have a land line to get Verizon DSL but it's the most basic it can be and it has no long distance. this may just be a geographical/location thing.
J.

Upvote 0
So now that I can call people directly from my computer with GV (new Gmail integration), I'm really considering telling all my friends to use my new GV number. Right now some of them have my GV number but never call it, just my regular cell number. How did some of you make your friends use the GV number instead of your old one?
I was switching carriers at the time and just didn't give out my number. Your carrier can probably change your old number if you want to use this approach.

If they call the 'old' number won't they get the 'old' voicemail (if you don't forward it to GV). The 'old' voicemail could simply state that you have a new number and you won't get a message if they leave it.
That's correct. Just don't enable GV voicemail (conditional call forwarding) on your old number and have the "wrong number" message on that voicemail greeting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones