1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Making the move to android with some questions..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BORIStheBLADE, Sep 15, 2009.

1. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Electrician
    San Jose, CA
    So I was going to get the Mytouch, but saw that the Motorola Cliq and want to wait now. I like the keyboard on it, it looks a little less cramped compared to the touch screens out there.

I'm coming from a Black Berry and have some questions for you guys.

Is it possible to back up your contacts pretty easy with androids? With a BB app you are able to save contacts and your calender info to a small file that you can restore to the phone or a new one if something were to happen.

If you wanted to put music or ringtones the phone basically gets mounted on a computer like a hard drive and you can drag and drop the files in?

thanks

Advertisement

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Welcome! :)

I would say, you can't avoid it -- you need a Google Account to use Android, and your contacts are synced between the phone and Google's servers. If you turn off Auto Sync (to save a bit of battery) they might be a little out of date, but overall consider them backed up.

Yes. If you connect your phone to your computer (with any USB to mini-USB cable), your phone will detect that and offer to 'mount' itself as a volume.
    My Galaxy actually serves two volumes, the built-in memory and the removable sd-card slot. Mind you, however, that you can't see the entire (root) file system.

3. BORIStheBLADE

Sep 15, 2009
    Electrician
    San Jose, CA
    Very cool, I like the google account idea. I think I have one already too.

I'm sure I won't have a problem mounting a Android witha Apple computer right?

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Don't ask me whether you're sure or not! ;) Seriously though, it is detected as a USB mass storage device, so you should have no problems. (When it comes to flashing a newer firmware, though, it seems you do need access to a Windows machine. :mad:)

5. BORIStheBLADE

Sep 15, 2009
    Electrician
    San Jose, CA

Ok I can make that work. My desktop is a Apple and my laptop is Windows.

6. dakev

dakev Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Broadcaster
    Vicenza Italy
    I have a Mac and I had to start Windows to root my hero. Luckily Mac's can do that when necessary.