• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Malaysia Airlines tragedies

Truly tragic indeed. Fortunately the plane was found quickly and we will avoid the CNN media circus for the most part. I'm sure they'll probably delve into whether or not the ATC call to maintain altitude was proper and hopefully that will be that.

I'm sure we'll get some conspiracy theories too.

Another plane from the same company overshot a runway in the Philippines last night, but fortunately no injuries occurred.

It seems I usually read these stories before I have to fly somewhere, but I don't have any plans at the moment.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they'll probably delve into whether or not the ATC call to maintain altitude was proper and hopefully that will be that.

It must have been a tough call for the controller(s), one they will no doubt wrestle with for the rest of their lives. However, no matter how bad the weather was on QZ8501's flight path, an immediate climb into airspace already occupied by other aircraft could well have ended with an even larger loss of life. :(

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0
It must have been a tough call for the controller(s), one they will no doubt wrestle with for the rest of their lives. However, no matter how bad the weather was on QZ8501's flight path, an immediate climb into airspace already occupied by other aircraft could well have ended with an even larger loss of life. :(

I feel that you are almost certainly correct. Those ATC controllers are trained and experienced. I'm sure a review will happen as a matter of standard procedure and confirm such.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's MH370: Debris found on island is from the missing plane

"Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion island is indeed from MH370," Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak wrote on Facebook.​

515 days and one big clue later, we still don't know what happened to MH370

We know for sure that a piece of the plane fell into the ocean and floated for an extended amount of time. It traveled a long distance — the wing part was covered in barnacles — giving credence to the official theory that MH370 crashed into the Indian Ocean far off the western coast of Australia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MH370 wreckage confirmed, may indicate plane hit the ocean on a controlled descent

The condition of the debris suggests the flaps were down at the time of the crash, possibly indicating that “somebody’s controlling the aircraft,” when it hit the water, said Haueter. “The airplane wouldn’t have done that on its own,” he added. But “you’re trying to land or ditch the airplane – you’d have the flaps folded down.”​

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones