1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Malware discussion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Slick1020, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Slick1020

None

Jul 13, 2010
    First, I would stay away from using the Amazon market app. If there is an app with malware loaded onto your phone the Amazon Market doesn't have a way to recall/wipe the app from your phone like the Android Market.

I doubt the app is a battery hog unless you are allowing the app to send/receive data on its own like the blockbuster app will do until you change the settings on the app. I don't have the Amazon app. Typically noobies make the assertions you have made. Not harping on you, I'm just saying. I hope this helps.

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I think there was a perception that Amazon would sport apps not in the Market, but now that's shaping up to be like a temporary deal, where some apps get advance exposure on Amazon before going to the Market. I could be mistaken on that part.

In any case - Google is able to reach out and remove apps from your phone when they're found to be or contain malware - and they've recently done so. For this mechanism to work, Google needs to be aware of them.

3. Slick1020

None

Jul 13, 2010
    I don't think anyone stays up to date on malware threats in apps. The anti-virus/security apps in the market do not detect malware. With Android having the ability to remove am app from your phone acts as a major protection tool. Last thing you want is for an app with malware installed wreaking havoc on your phone and nobody able to contact you in order to uninstall the app.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I vaguely recall Amazon claiming that they're providing that screening...

In any case, if Google can't remove an Amazon, then that whole model is seriously broken - you want to install private-dev stuff for rooting or whatever, you've taken your chances. But supposedly mainstream stuff - that ought be subject to the Google kill switch.

5. Tryn2getaclu

Tryn2getaclu Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    What about Lookout? Does that offer any additional protection while downloading from amazon App Store?

6. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    lookout, if its aware of the malware would pick it up on install and alert you...we need to get back on track with battery though, not security lol

7. Slick1020

None

Jul 13, 2010
    Someone ran s test on the apps that detect malware. They all failed miserably. Gives people a false sense of protection. If Android needed AntiVirus protection the phone would come with it installed.