1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Malware or virus problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jb254x, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jb254x

jb254x Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2013
    Hi all,

I think I may have some malware or a virus on my Galaxy S3. My phone will randomly display pop-up ads, messages that my android is not performing and to "click here" to fix, which are more pop-up ads I'm sure. Other times I will be doing something on my phone such as typing a text or email, and the play store will pop-up prompting me to install an app. Often, browser windows open and take me to advertisements also. I've ran AVG and the Lookup app for malware and neither have found anything. Any advice?

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
  3. jb254x

jb254x Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2013
    I did run a scan with AirPush Detector and Addons Detector -- neither of them could find anything. Furthermore, I just started having the problem today, and haven't installed any apps or games in weeks.

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Hmm... Anything I've see like this has been from an app. Once uninstalled, the pop-ups went away.

Have you tried installing an anti virus to see if it catches anything?

5. doc1964

doc1964 Android Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010
    Male
    Scotland
    I use boat browser and found that on closing the browser down I would get a full page ad. I believe that more and more apps are now using this method of advertising in their free apps. It is called interstitial advertising, see some of the sales blurb below found using google.
    "If you’re looking to increase your app’s ad revenue, you should consider adding interstitial ads to your app. Interstitial ads pay significantly more than banner ads eCPM wise and can also increase your app’s total ad impressions. On the flip side, interstitials are much more intrusive than banner ads and can negatively affect user experience (and thus decrease app usage) if not used with thought and care." In the majority of cases I would delete the app that is using this method as it is a real pain, I did however buy a licence key for boat browser as it is my preferred browser. (caught in my throat a bit as I wouldn't normally). The sneaky thing is these are not malware as such as they are in the app you are using by design so airpush detector does not detect them. You just need to pin down the app by looking at what you were using when it appeared. Good luck.

Brian706 likes this.