1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Malware or what??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bryan K Davis, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Bryan K Davis

Bryan K Davis Lurker

I think I have malware or Spyware on my phone. I'm not even sure as to how. The same thing was previously happening on my ZTE Grand X max plus, so I switched phones to the LG g stylo it's still going on! I think it may be connected to my Google account, but I actually don't know how that would work. I tried to identify the app where I got it and no clue. Lookout or anything of the sort can't find it.... HELP!

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. daffyducknj

daffyducknj Android Enthusiast

That might be tied to your ad preferences on facebook, or browser pop up settings. You're showing us a browser screen from the facebook mobile web site, so that's not really spam or malware. That is why you can't find anything on your phone. If you don't click on it, it's harmless. If you do then you'll get an annoying amount of pop up ads. Be careful of clicking on browser ads. Anyone else have other ideas?

3. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Android Enthusiast

It's not even a facebook url. Did you try Ad-Away it requires root: https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway Then once installed click the 3 dot menu and click scan now, it'll give you a report of all the app's that have ad's and redirects built into them, then ya can choose to keep or remove whichever app you want manually to see if you can eliminate the problem.

#3 n1nj4Lo, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. n1nj4Lo

Soapy214 likes this.
  5. Bryan K Davis

Bryan K Davis Lurker

Ahhh okay I'll try both of those to see if I can get to the bottom of it! Yeah I was already pretty sure it wasn't actually connected to Facebook. It comes up sometimes when I try to open an external link on Facebook, but I first saw it when I simply Google'd something. It took me to the page I needed then a "congratulations you're today's lucky winner" banner (not sure if that's exactly what it says...ill try and get a screenshot of that if/when it happens again) popped up and as I try to Press back it took me to the screenshot I previously uploaded. The only way to get rid of it is closing out the tab and clearing the entry from my browsing g history.... That is until it comes back.

6. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

That is a site that you get redirected to if you misspelled Facebook. Its happened to me before. And there are sites like that not just for Facebook but other popular websites as well. They buy web addresses that are the same except for one letter and then when you misspell the URL you get redirected to their site.

7. n1nj4Lo

According to the imgur comments, it was coming from their site if ya were using the website and not the app interestingly enough, but it could also be a app hijacking any browser he has installed, which is why I recommended sniffing out the app's that contain ad's and what not and seeing if one or all of them could be the root cause of the problem.

Bryan K Davis likes this.
  8. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

Okay so I just opened up Chrome and purposely misspelled Facebook 2 times the first time I replaced the B with an F and the second time I replace it with a V. One of those times I was redirected to a page identical to that in the OP and the other time I was redirected to a similar but slightly different page. See the screen shots below.

Attached Files:

Blu8 and KOLIO like this.
  9. Bryan K Davis

Bryan K Davis Lurker

I ended up going to check out that thread, and a few others,but I'm pretty sure someone on there said they thought it may be linked to clean master...which I did have. I uninstalled and installed the 360 clean and hadn't had any issues thus far. The malware bytes app found nothing, but I just know it's something, the way it was popping up. I'll make you aware if it happens again though! Thank you!

10. Bryan K Davis

Bryan K Davis Lurker

Hmmm...interesting. Only issue with that is I use the app so no way to misspell it. Some external links I'd click on though would take me there (above screenshot) and sometimes after I searched in Google, found the site I needed then tried to visit that site.

LG G Stylo Forum

The LG G Stylo release date was May 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1/2GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2015
Release Date
Reviews