1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Malware scanner?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gloriousnumber1, Sep 29, 2014.

1. gloriousnumber1

gloriousnumber1 Android Expert

Does my M8 with 4.4.3 have a malware scanner or antivirus built in? A friend with a iPhone 5 got a spammer virus on FB messenger. If she can have that, isn't Android more open, or is that a myth? Do I need to download lookout or something else? Mine hasn't done that but since I like messenger and shrugged off all the stuff people said about it, I'm kinda worried that can happen to me.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mruno

mruno Android Expert

3. gloriousnumber1

4. mruno

mruno Android Expert

it does, but i would count that as safe. i use it myself.

5. gloriousnumber1

I do also. Maybe I'm just paranoid, even though after 4+ years of Android, I haven't ever had a reason to believe any of my devices have been infected with anything. So who are the people who need an additional antivirus app?

6. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Well-Known Member

I do see a need for antivirus protection on Android. While Android is based off of Linux, which makes it darn near invicible, I did have a bug penetrate and ruin my SK4G (and it was my favorite phone. :mad: ). Also, bugs may hide to smuggle your data.

7. gloriousnumber1

I'm using Verizon protect, what do you recommend?

8. lectraplayer

I've not delt with Vz's product, but I do either use Lookout or McAfee. Lookout seems to do better for me, though none test perfectly.

9. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

I use Trend Micro. TM has the ability to not only find malware within the file structure, it also scans apps and compares them to collected data to determine if they are behaving inappropriately. Though it may not be perfect and has had a couple false hits on apps that I know I can trust, it seems to work well. Also, TM has the ability to block websites that have been deemed unsafe (involved with scams, virus/malware distribution, etc).

I also like that it comes with lost device protection as well.

Kratos

10. lectraplayer

...but can it find your device when it runs out of battery? The one I use primarily can.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews