• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Malware scanner?

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Does my M8 with 4.4.3 have a malware scanner or antivirus built in? A friend with a iPhone 5 got a spammer virus on FB messenger. If she can have that, isn't Android more open, or is that a myth? Do I need to download lookout or something else? Mine hasn't done that but since I like messenger and shrugged off all the stuff people said about it, I'm kinda worried that can happen to me.

I use Trend Micro. TM has the ability to not only find malware within the file structure, it also scans apps and compares them to collected data to determine if they are behaving inappropriately. Though it may not be perfect and has had a couple false hits on apps that I know I can trust, it seems to work well. Also, TM has the ability to block websites that have been deemed unsafe (involved with scams, virus/malware distribution, etc).

I also like that it comes with lost device protection as well.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones