1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Managing backups, files and media with linux

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MyD0j0, May 25, 2011.

1. MyD0j0

MyD0j0 Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    System developer: VB.Net/SQL server; learning PHP/
    St Louis, MO area
    I am reading up on rooting my phone, but before doing so, I'd like to make sure i can restore the phone to its default system and take care of my media first. As new user of android who uses Ubuntu linux, i'm curious if anyone has experience using linux to manage their files, media and phone backups. From the motorola site, it appears that their media management software only supports windows & mac, oddly enough for a linux based phone :thinking:.

i don't have a problem just plugging my usb in and using the mounted file system, but the directories for media are not at all clear. Like--where do ringtones and music files go if i have an external sd card?

(sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I couldn't find it)

TIA,

myd0j0

Advertisement

2. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I manage everything in the gnome desktop environment. When I plug my Evo 4G into my computer via USB, I get a couple of popups on my computer asking me what I would like to do. I usually cancel the popups, open nautilus and manage things from there - your mounted android device should show an icon in the left pane of nautilus as well as one on the desktop.

You can organize your SD card in any way that suits you. I have a folder called Images with subfolders for Wallpaper Icons, Themes, Music, Movies, etc. and just manage things that way. Android will scan the SD card, once the phone is unplugged, so the system knows where any relevant files (media) are.

However, I haven't seen any dedicated software for Linux that allows management of android devices. If you happen across something like that please let us know.

MyD0j0 likes this.
  3. MyD0j0

MyD0j0 Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    System developer: VB.Net/SQL server; learning PHP/
    St Louis, MO area
    are you able to backup your system that way too? For lack of a better tool, I've just been using the file system to drag n drop files, but wasn't sure if there was a structure that was needed to follow. Its odd the Ubuntu folks added in iphone support in 11 when they launched unity, but apparently not for androids...

4. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    No, we won't be able to see anything except the SD card when the phone is mounted because of the way android is set up. You can, however, use your phone's recovery, once your phone is rooted, to make a nandroid backup. It's basically a snapshot of the entire phone system that you can restore at a later date if needed. I make nandroid backups on a weekly basis whether I need them at the time or not, this has saved me a time or two. If you have a bad flash or delete something you shouldn't have, you can simply restore a nandroid backup and be returned to the same point as when the nandroid was created.

MyD0j0 likes this.