• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Managing overnight notifications?

Jason Paul

Apr 9, 2012
I posted this in the Android Lounge forum, but it was suggested that I post here too. Sorry if I'm breaking the rules by double-posting - just trying to get an answer. Here's the post:

I didn't know exactly what to search (and tried a few), so please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times.

This is my first Android (HTC 3D), coming from a Blackberry.

On the BB, I could set it to turn off at 11:00 and turn back on at 6:00, so I wouldn't get any calls or notifications overnight. I liked this.

I don't see how to do that on the HTC. I don't mind getting calls, but I don't want emails. I have set the peak time to be from 6:00 to 11:00, checking every 30 minutes, and once a day for off-peak times. This did nothing. I still get email notifications in the middle of the night.

I searched a bit (Google) and saw several people asking similar questions. But, I didn't really find any answers. Just other people agreeing that it was a problem, and a few suggestions for apps. Also, it seemed a lot of these threads were two years old.

Is there really no way to manage overnight email notifications on the phone, without downloading an app? I mean, other than setting it to silent or turning it completely off.

Thanks,
Jason

I use an app called LightFlow to manage notifications. It has sleep settings that should do what you are asking and a whole lot more. There is a free version available, but I am not sure all the options are in that. The paid version is only $1.99 IIRC. I first loaded the free version and had an issue, I emailed the dev and within minutes got a response, so in support, I purchased it.

Upvote 0
I have set the peak time to be from 6:00 to 11:00, checking every 30 minutes, and once a day for off-peak times. This did nothing. I still get email notifications in the middle of the night.

What happens if you set it to "manual" for off-peak times? (that's how I have my phone set up and it works as expected - I don't get any Emails from my stock Email app till my peak time starts at 7am)

I assume these Email notifications are from your stock mail application - and not from Gmail or other Emails apps, correct?

Upvote 0
The emails are through gmail, as that's my main email.

I can try setting off-peak times to manual and see if that works. I didn't really want to be doing it manually though.

As for the recommended app, I may check it out.

Thanks,
Jason

If you have any questions before you buy it, email the dev. He stays right on top of it and I am sure will answer your questions. Like I said, I purchased just because he replied so quickly to my query with regards to the free version. Even if the app wasn't great (which it is), that alone would have made me purchase it.

Upvote 0
Is there really no way to manage overnight email notifications on the phone, without downloading an app?
Thanks,
Jason

You are in luck. Turn the volume all the way down, and set your alarm to 'vibrate'. (Tap on the clock and then the icon denoting an old school alarm clock at the bottom of the screen). You wont get any more noise than a vibration (which shouldnt wake you up), but it should go off at full blast to wake you up in the morning if you use it as an alarm as I do. If you odnt use it like that, just turn the volume ALL the way down when you go to sleep, then turn it ALL the way up when you get up.

I LOVE waking up early and watching Californication on my 3vo. Its a guilty pleasure of mine

Upvote 0
I know you did not want an app, but the FREE app called Timeriffic works wonderfully!

Even contols Wi-Fi and Data, along with ringers and notifications.

I posted this in the Android Lounge forum, but it was suggested that I post here too. Sorry if I'm breaking the rules by double-posting - just trying to get an answer. Here's the post:

I didn't know exactly what to search (and tried a few), so please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times.

This is my first Android (HTC 3D), coming from a Blackberry.

On the BB, I could set it to turn off at 11:00 and turn back on at 6:00, so I wouldn't get any calls or notifications overnight. I liked this.

I don't see how to do that on the HTC. I don't mind getting calls, but I don't want emails. I have set the peak time to be from 6:00 to 11:00, checking every 30 minutes, and once a day for off-peak times. This did nothing. I still get email notifications in the middle of the night.

I searched a bit (Google) and saw several people asking similar questions. But, I didn't really find any answers. Just other people agreeing that it was a problem, and a few suggestions for apps. Also, it seemed a lot of these threads were two years old.

Is there really no way to manage overnight email notifications on the phone, without downloading an app? I mean, other than setting it to silent or turning it completely off.

Thanks,
Jason

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones