• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To managing the contacts in Droid

jsadan12

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Need some insight to how the "contacts" works.
I got my Droid phone yesterday. at the verizon store they moved the contacts from my old phone to the droid.
they they advised to sync with facebook. OK I got all the 200+ names with faces loaded.
But.........
I had duplicates. the spelling form MY current naming to the facebook was not the same. So, because I had more info on my contacts I "deleted" the facebook contact.
when I changed my existing naming to the facebook spelling, nothing is happening..it is not trying to resync the names.....WHY ???

another question - when I deleted downloaded facebook friends i did not want on my contact list,
Droid advised that it "can not delete the contact, but will HIDE the contact.
How to do Access this HIDDEN list.
let's say I do want some back in my contact list.....
anyone have some insight on this....
the store people did not...
I do have the facebook option for sync ON.

thanks,
jsadan12

Have your contacts named the same as your facebook contact and the phone will merge them automactically. ie phone says Jeff, facebook says jeff brown...rename phone contact to jeff brown and it will merge.

Go to contacts then hit the menu and you can have the option to show all contacts or only contacts with numbers

Upvote 0
Thanks for recommending me that. It worked... partially. For some reason it only worked on some contacts, I'm not sure why it worked on some and not others. At first I thought it was because some of the contacts were house phones whereas Facebook relies mainly on mobile numbers, but there were a couple that still had two different contact cards for mobile numbers and Facebook accounts. It's actually pretty annoying now.

Any ideas? D:

Upvote 0
facebook sync is really picky.

so you have a contact on your phone that is say "Boxybrown" but this persons facebook name is "Brown Box".

change your phone contact to be "Brown Box"
while looking at contacts, hit the menu button and go to accounts.
go to your facebook account and uncheck sync contacts.
back out all the way to the home screen.
go back into your contacts. hit menu. go to accounts.
go to facebook account and check sync contacts.
then it should be good.

the reason you have to do this is that the phone doesnt check to see if there are duplicate contacts when syncing with facebook every second of the day. so it check probably something like every hour or so. so doing this will sort of force the phone to resync with facebook

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones