• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help manual software update

sorry been offline new laptop wont recognise his phone at all stil cant update anything on the phone

any ideas?

Have a read of the following PDF guide put together by SamMobile.com. It may be of help.

On your husbands phone, can you type *#1234# into the dialler and let us know what firmware he is currently on by posting all the information on that screen.

Cheers.

Ray.

Upvote 0
It appears your husband's phone is still on the original Eclair 2.1 firmware from when the phone was first released. He is badly in need of an update.

Rather than mess around trying to get Kies to recognise the phone you can update the Firmware using Odin instead. Odin is safer and more stable than Kies any way.

Download Odin and the Firmware files from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30612400/Samsung-Updates.com-GT-I9000_XEU_1_20120321140453_udbxvq6it9.zip and unzip to a convenient location on your PC.

Now, switch the phone off completely until it vibrates and put the phone into download mode by holding Volume Down + Home + Power button. The phone should now show a Yellow road sign with the Android robot digging.

If the phone won't go into Download mode you will have to visit a Samsung Service Center to get the phone updated. They will do it for free when you explain the Kies will not recognise the phone.

If you can enter Download mode launch Odin from the folder you've downloaded and connect the phone via USB to your PC.

Now click the PDA button and navigate to the firmware folder and select the JW4_JW4_JW4 file.

Now click start in Odin and wait for the update to complete. It can take anything up to 10 minutes and the phone will re-boot. It can take a further five minutes or so for the phone to re-boot first time which is normal.

When the phone has fully re-booted you can unplug the USB and start to use the phone normally.

You will have to re-download all of your apps again so it's best to make a note of what apps are on the phone and also back up any media files before flashing just in case.

Ray.

Upvote 0
If you follow my previous instructions to update to Gingerbread but with the extra step of adding the .PIT file that can be found in the Odin folder. You will need to tick the Repartition box in Odin.

Apologies, it was an oversight on my part to forget about the .PIT file. You don't normally need to use PIT but going from Eclair to Gingerbread PIT is needed.

Ray.

Upvote 0
hi thanks-im having problems connecting the phone to my lptop again now itjust wont recognise it dont know wot i done before but now nothing is working

Are you connecting in Download mode via Odin or trying to connect to Kies?

The only way Odin will fail to recognise the phone is if the USB drivers for the phone are missing on your laptop. Or, it might be the USB port on the laptop itself. Try connecting to another USB port. Remember also that the phone should be put into Download mode before you connect it to the laptop, and Odin should already be running on the laptop. If you launch Odin after the phone has been connected, Odin won't recognise the phone.

I reckon you're probably getting fed up with all this by now but once it's done you should feel a great amount of satisfaction when the phone is running at its best on the latest firmware.

Ray.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones