• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manual Update File Backup Question

gluis

Nov 3, 2009
Is this process correct:

Connect USB cable to the phone and mount it from the notification window.
Open up a folder view on my Laptop for the mounted Eris.
Copy all the files/folders from the Eris to a folder location on the Laptop.
Manually update the Eris.
Reverse the process on the USB connected/mounted Eris copying and overwriting all files from the Laptop back onto the Eris.

Bottom line question is when the files are returned back to the Eris will the overwrite screw any updated files?
Do I need to be selective of which files/folders I backup then overwrite?

Thanks in advance.

I just backed up contacts, photos, and took note of downloaded files........I've only had the phone for a couple weeks, not a ton on there.

After the manual update (didn't notice much difference?) I just reapplied all the settings I had before and reinstalled the applications. The applications that I had purchased were recognized as "purchased" and reinstalled no problem.

The manual update takes about 10 minutes as advertised, but it took me another 45 minutes of goofing around to put the phone back how I had it setup before........I didn't mind though, I enjoy messing with the settings :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones