• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Manual update Issue

rcooked

Jul 20, 2010
Hello.

I followed the instructions posted on here yesterday to unroot my phone - worked fine. The superuser and and wifi tether are now gone. I went in this morning to try to manually install the froyo update from android and me, and when trying to run it, I get the following:

-- Install from dscard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying Update Package...
Installing Update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop"
. "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/inc/inc/inc
:2.1-unpdate1/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" II
file_getpropr("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys"
E:error in sdcard/update.zip
installation aborted

Can anyone provide me in any help in what I need to do at this point to get 2.2 installed properly? Will the OTA update work, or am I hosed?
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted.

Check your software number. If its 1.22.605.0, then follow this guide to update: Getting your phone ready for the FroYo update.zip! - xda-developers

When I unrooted, it returned it to stock before the may OTA update, which you have to do to successfully get Froyo.

Were you able to get your data back? I have a Nandroid backup, but with the checksum in place, I am certain I would have to do an entire recover instead of just the data or just the apps... :thinking:

Upvote 0
I applied the OTA without restoring the stock recovery, yes stupid.

I was able to revert to 2.1p1 with the help of the first files from root video on this site, he included a revert to factory update flash.

I did that, the used the new 2.1 to 2.2 rooted method to root the phone.

I did however do a restore of my backup in the middle so that I would have all my data.

It seems to me that all updates applied in hboot are generally data non-destructive, while RUU does a wipe.

As long as you dont apply things in the wrong order, this whould not be an issue since they were designed this way.

So, to sum it up, 2.1p1 stock, them unrevoked to root, then forever to allow root afvter 2.2 upgrade, then restore factory recovery, then upgrade to 2.2, then apply root and su packages which are now allowed but forever.

Yes that is a very brief how-to but the is a complete post here:

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/162100-stock-2-1-fully-rooted-froyo-2-2-a.html

I just added the restore 2.1p1 in the beginning since I wasn't stock.

Dennis

Upvote 0
Were you able to get your data back? I have a Nandroid backup, but with the checksum in place, I am certain I would have to do an entire recover instead of just the data or just the apps... :thinking:

I synced appbrain for my apps and then did a Sprite Backup and My BackupPro backup for preferences and user data. Got all my data back except for app data. Home screens, contacts, sms, etc. were all preserved. The May OTA and Froyo update.zip wont wipe anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones