1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Manually Update Android

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bg260, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Yes, I know. This is Computers and IT. I have Remix OS installed on my laptop and I have some interesting questions to pose.

My version of Remix is rooted. It came that way. First I am now wondering if that is even necessary. I am running Linux on a different partition. While in a Linux session I can make any changes to the Remix system that are needed... I think. Am I off base?

Secondly, the official version received an OTA update on the 6th. Mine being unofficial did not receive it. I am looking at the new version right now. And got to wondering about it.

The Remix system is the system.img unpacked. Can I merge the updated unpacked system.img with the existing. Maybe with the command line. There is discussion at XDA about this possibility. It seems feasible but I wanted to toss it out to the collective brain power assembled here. :rolleyes:

Advertisement

2. bcrichster

bcrichster Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Jan 23, 2013
    Male
    Electrical, Electronics
    Florida
    You'd actually have to use something (like "Merge..??") to compare the files & changes, then manually swap them. Whew! Daunting task for me. [emoji41]
    Really, I don't envy you

Bg260 likes this.
  3. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Nemo has compare, but I don't want to spend hours staring at files, like you said. Be enough to make me crazy.
    dd if=/update of=/ :D