1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Manually-updated Froyo vs. OTA Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alanamaslama, Feb 23, 2011.

?

How did you update Froyo and is it glitching?

1. I manually updated to Froyo and it's doing just fine.

43 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. I manually updated to Froyo, but now it's glitching.

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I received the update OTA and Froyo is magically delicious.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. I received the update OTA, but it's glitchy.

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. I haven't updated diddly-squat.

17 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. alanamaslama

alanamaslama Member

I just wanted to know who's experiencing the most problems with the Froyo update. Like, is it just the phones that were manually updated, was mainly phones that received the update OTA, or is it a widespread issue? Lastly, anyone not updated yet and still haven't gotten the update OTA?

I haven't received the update OTA yet, but I don't want to manually install it. I manually installed DK28, but when I tried to Odin back to Eclair, it bricked my phone. Now I'm wondering if it even matters whether or update manually or wait for the OTA.

Advertisement

2. BubZX

BubZX Well-Known Member

i did mine manually thru samsungs site and have had zero issues. just back everything up

3. lefty421

lefty421 Member

Did you use the .exe file or .zip file?

4. BubZX

BubZX Well-Known Member

used the .exe

lefty421 likes this.
  5. qtip1986

qtip1986 Lurker

Used the update.zip file after going back to stock. No issues.

6. ijeggert

ijeggert Guest

Updated mine via the exe from Samsung.

Had issues getting a usb port to work but that's not sammy's fault.

Other than that, working wonderfully. Now I just have to findout how to kill Maps, but this is a known issue, not one that is unknown. Also... Sammy needs to get their home desktop and car top apps updated for Froyo!

7. MisterDisney

MisterDisney Newbie

Just copied the the update.zip to the SD card and went from there. No problems.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert

I used the TAR file and Odin

9. saycoda

saycoda Newbie

Glad to see there is a new thread starting, i have a hard time with anything over 3 pages let alone over 40.

I did mine using the "zip" (mac) method as opposed to the "exe" (windows). The exe's gui did not size correctly on my Windows 7, 32 bit, HP laptop set to max resolution, I tried everything, lower res, safe mode, etc.....

I came from a stock phone about 3 weeks ago.....and i'm using LauncherPro 0.8.3 and went back to it after update, and now other than

1) Skype being able to sign-in
    2) the annoying oversensitivity of the screen orientation......
    3) and not much improvement to the GPS, ( i don't see it as accurate as people on the other thread claim).

I don't know enuf about the phone to appreciate the upgrade. But I do have a couple of questions.

Can the screen orientation sensitivity be adjusted other than On/Off?

Why should i root? what will it get me ( I hope it's not too general of a question, if so disregard)?

Thanks in advance.

10. rmingee

rmingee Well-Known Member

I voted that I had had no problems after a manual update (zip method with no wipe), and I guess my phone heard me, because it decided it was time to freak out. The notification sounds were really quiet regardless of the volume setting, and so I decided to reboot to fix it. It turned off OK, but when I went to turn it back no it did nothing the first time, then the second time it just vibrated once. I pulled the battery, and it restarted fine, now my sounds are back at full volume. Weird...

-- robert

11. CaNiKiCkIt

CaNiKiCkIt Newbie

I did the manual update and everything seems to be working pretty well.....however just like in the dk28 build I still cannot find a way to turn off geotagging when taking pictures. Also does anyone else have the firmware check option in their camera settings menu or is it just me???

12. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast

Manual update, everything seems to be running great!

-SF

13. TheAlien

TheAlien Member

After manually updating, did you still get a message saying there was an update OTA?

14. edvan

edvan Member

I did it the update.zip way with no wipe and everything works great, no problems.

Also rooted with the one click method w/ CWM recovery v2.5.5 and have no problems.

and up to now, no I haven't received any OTA update message.

15. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

.exe with zero known issues.

16. update.zip method on 2 Epics. no issues that haven't been able to be resolved.

17. viisign

viisign Member

i have not recieved any kind of update what so ever. i really need it. i need 2 use skype 2 talk 2 my sister in florida. i wish they would hurry up and send out this update 2 my phone.i wont manually install it either.

im in wichita ks , has anyone in wichita ks got the update yet???

18. Griffen55

Griffen55 Newbie

i got the ota, went smooth as melted butter, but now, my gps almost doesn't work at all.. any ideas?

19. espionagelfe

espionagelfe Lurker

Not sure if this is what everyone else experienced but I did the manual update with the update.zip file/method and all of my apps, data, texts, call log contacts etc were still there? I thought if you did the manual install all that would be erased? Anyone else experience this? In the About Phone section under firmware version it says 2.2.1 so I believe I did it correctly.

20. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

It all would stay if you did the update.zip.

21. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member

And why not exactly? It takes a total of 15 minutes, which is probably less time than it would take OTA, when it does hit. Either install it manually or just wait it out. No one here can push it to your phone, so wait or do it yourself. If you need it so bad....DO IT YOURSELF. If you're not willing to, then you obviously don't need it that bad.

@espi - Update.zip will leave everything in tact. I do believe using the Samsung Installer (the .exe file) does wipe everything. Two ways to do it manually, one wipes, the other doesn't.

22. droid newb

droid newb Android Enthusiast

Where does one get the .zip?

23. lefty421

lefty421 Member

You can get both the .zip and the .exe from Samsung support.

24. droid newb

droid newb Android Enthusiast

Heh...I found it already...should have come back here to post that. Sorry.

25. viisign

viisign Member

alright i do it but if my phone bricks you can buy me a new one and not a refurbished pos.