1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Manually updating Firmware without Cell Service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EvilxMunkee, Sep 25, 2012.

1. EvilxMunkee

EvilxMunkee New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Good Morning Everyone,
    I must admit I am a noob here and need help understanding some core concepts with the Android updates. I know we are getting Ice Cream sandwhich soon and this is why I must know what I need to do.
    Here is the situation... I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Verizion, however I no longer use that phone on my account (currently using an iPhone 5) and I would love to update it to the newest firmware when it becomes available.... However I do not know how I do this....
    Keep in mind I do not have any service so when I go to the About Phone -> Check for firmware, it results in saying no service, and is unable to do it (have tried on wifi as well).
    I also have tried to download Samsung Kies (application on windows) and this told me that my model did not support updating through Kies.....
    The only thing I have found online is that I must root my phone, load a boot loader, then load a custom rom, and this iwll result in an update....I however do not wish to do this UNLESS its the last resort... and even then I may not do this....
    So does anyone know what I need to do to update my phone to the newest firmware when it becomes available? I would hate to think just because I do not have it on a line anymore that I am unable to update it and enjoy the newest apps and such.
    And to those curious, yes I still use my android a lot for other things besides cell service....
    Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisement

2. alpha0990

alpha0990 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    You can use a computer app called Odin, and sooner or later the new stuff should be available here
    SamMobile Firmware Page

3. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

May 14, 2010
    Female
    AZ
    Welcome to AF, EvilxMunkee!:)
    We are glad you have joined us here.

I am moving this thread into the forum for the exact phone that you have, as this forum is for the Australian version of the S3.

4. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    As the above poster said, you can use Odin to flash new software.