1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Manufacturer UI comparisons/analysis?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by SocaLand, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SocaLand

SocaLand Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    There is something I find missing in all the blogs and sites regarding Android. No one seems to have done an in depth comparison of manufacturer UIs. What I find in reviews is "brand X's phone uses their own UI called _X_ on top of the OS..." And then user comments generally revolve around "x...sucks!" and "well I like it ***k wad!" Is there any forum/site that really compares these UIs feature for feature in an analytical fashion?

I have D2G but use LP with a custom dock and icons I made. I was actually, trying to create something close to Sense. I find that to be a very attractive design. However, this is just my opinion on the aesthetics of Sense. I have no idea how Sense is for features.

Recently, I stopped in at Verizon to check out the latest phones. I only spent a little time looking, but the difference between the looks of the UIs was marked. Some were quite ugly compared to others. (Again, my opinion) But aesthetics is individual, features are not. I'd truly like to find a comparison of UI features sans opinions on the look?

Anyone? anywhere?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
  3. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    The UIs also evolve in time. They look quite different and better now than they do last year. Motoblur has evolved to Ninjablur, Sense 2.0 to 2.1, 3.0 and even 3.5, Touchwiz 3 to Touchwiz 4. Touchwiz 3 itself looks nothing like Touchwiz 2 which even has a 3D rotating interface in it. Some of these changes like Ninjablur now turning to the side by side scrolling instead of the up and down scrolling, much like Touchwiz, while Touchwiz 4 now copied the HTC Sense pinch to see all screens at once feature.

My suggestion is to enjoy viewing phone reviews in Youtube. Target key models and you can truly see how they evolved over time. The HTC Sense looks especially different now, this is probably the most evolved UI in my experience. I went from an HTC Touch Diamond (Windows Mobile) to Droid Eris (HTC Sense 1.0) to the Droid Incredible (HTC Sense 1.5) to the HTC Desire Z (HTC Sense 2.0, 2.1), and now EVO 3D (HTC Sense 3.0).

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    TouchWiz 3 had that pinch thing. I have it on Galaxy SL.

Anyway, personally there's no point in comparing UI on any Android device because you can change it to your liking. Heck you can emulate parts of HTC Sense on a Galaxy S2 with the proper apps from the market. The level of cutomization available on Android is just so great that manufacturer UI is not really a selling point anymore.