• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Many problems after Android 12 update

aramkolesar

Lurker
Dec 14, 2021
Hi all,

Advance warning: I am very new with Android and don't really know what I'm doing.

I recently got a Google Pixel 3 XL and had no issues for a while. I think I must have accidentally allowed the OS to upgrade because the look of my phone lock screen and several other things changed one day. I am currently using Android 12.

At the same time that the update happened, I started encountering lots of issues:
  • Chrome crashes immediately upon opening.
  • Cannot search in the Play Store (endless loading circle)
  • Play Store says I need to log into Google Account. When I tap the icon for my account in the upper left hand corner and hit "Manage Account," I get endless loading circle.
  • Cannot search in YouTube Music (endless loading circle)
  • Cannot add new Calendar reminders (tapping Save does nothing)
  • Cannot clear old Calendar reminders
  • Missing notifications and according to one of my contacts, texts sent but never received
I have run Malwarebytes and it did not find anything. I tried clearing the cache for Play Store but it did not do anything. Some apps run fine.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

it might have been either a bad install of the update or a bad download of the update. it happens from time to time. i would do a factory reset and that should fix your issue. keep in mind that data will be erased so backup accordingly.

That makes sense. How might I go about backing up my photos, etc.? Instructions I found online said that I might need to download an app to make my phone transfer data to my Linux desktop. Because the Play Store is not working, I can't do that. Any way I can revert to an earlier OS version? Or can I just wait until the next update comes out?

Upvote 0
That makes sense. How might I go about backing up my photos, etc.? Instructions I found online said that I might need to download an app to make my phone transfer data to my Linux desktop. Because the Play Store is not working, I can't do that. Any way I can revert to an earlier OS version? Or can I just wait until the next update comes out?
if you are signed in to google. go to your google photo's app>top right corner press your account>it should say backup complete or backing up.....once it is backed up, you can access your photos pretty much anywhere. and after the reset, you can either download your photos or just leave them in the cloud. you will still be able to access your photos anywhere as long as you are either on wifi or have a cellular signal. i never keep my photos on my phone. i have google back it up and after a time google will delete it so that i always have room on my sd card for other things.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-photos-937968/

Upvote 0
Great advice from ocnbrze above. If you get the spinning circle of death when opening photos and absolutely need to transfer your existing pics to your linux machine before proceeding, you can follow these steps alternatively to save your pics locally...
*Plug in phone via USB cable
*On your phone, once plugged in, look for a notification regarding your USB status. Press the chevron to expand, then choose "tap for more options".
*Switch the "Use USB for" option from "no data transfer" to "File transfer/Android Auto".

Now your device will show up on your Linux machine. Choose option to mount and open, then choose to browse files with file manager. Your options may show up slightly different, I'm running Kubuntu as I type this. You will then see the device contents show as "Internal Shared Storage". Open that, then open the "DCIM" directory. Inside there will be the "Camera" directory. You can drag and drop the camera folder onto your desktop. You may be prompted to "copy here" which will then place all the pics into your desktop.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones