• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Map app like Google Map but offline

HD2

Lurker
May 14, 2011
I been using Google Maps alot recently, but only to find street names to get directions. So it was kind of overkill to keep having GPS and Data turned on for a simple task. I don't use it as a Navigation system so GPS is not needed. I do have Mapdroyd as well, which is offline and no data, but still uses GPS. The downfall with Mapdroyd is the inability to search. Which is why I still use Google Maps mainly.

Is there a way to use offline maps only to search for a street. I would just like to use a map app as if it was a store map. I really don't need it to pinpoint my location and give me directions as I only need a broad area of where its near and I can head that direction.

Hopefully that makes sense.

thanks for everyones help. I went down the list, but none were able to SEARCH for streets in the offline. Difficult as it is to find a street you don't know where it is.

Any advice on which apps?

Hmmmm that's a good question. I don't think this is possible because all the offline tiles are simply pictures, they don't contain the actual street information.

Upvote 0
K, after an exhausting search, I found the next best thing. Mobile Atlas Creator is used to write maps to an sd card. You can even copy all the zoom levels of Google Maps. I used Rmaps, as its functionality with offline maps are the best I seen when testing. The maps also load alot quicker when panning and zooming. Now all I need is for someone to program a search function as the iphone does.

Upvote 0
K, after an exhausting search, I found the next best thing. Mobile Atlas Creator is used to write maps to an sd card. You can even copy all the zoom levels of Google Maps. I used Rmaps, as its functionality with offline maps are the best I seen when testing. The maps also load alot quicker when panning and zooming. Now all I need is for someone to program a search function as the iphone does.

Yes that's how I had to set mine up as well. If you ever find an app that'll allow this let me know :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones