1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

map network drive as local folder

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dtureaud, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dtureaud

dtureaud Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    I am able to file manage remotely through several apps like es file manager and ghost. However, when I am using apps that do not have a built in samba client of their own I am only able to browse local folders. Is there a way to assign some sort of local alias name to a folder that resides on a network share. In my windows pc I can map a network drive to a drive letter and reference the network share as x:\folder name\file name so how can I accomplish this on my android phone? I would prefer not to root the device as I am told this will void my warranty. cifsmanager seems to provide the functionality but I am getting a java exception when I try to use it. Perhaps if you are familiar with this util you can give me idiot proof instructions.

additionally I would like to manually assign apps that I have installed to handle specific tasks such as playing a video. I have 6 apps installed for playing video files but when I access through es file explorer it only shows 3.

fyi my shared files are located on a seagate goflex home nas drive not a windows box.

Advertisement