• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Map program that works off-line

Hi Dave, welcome to Android Forums.

The following link takes you to 'Help for Google offline maps' :-

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/6291838?hl=en-GB - it is totally free and one big advantage over other navigation apps is the ability to zoom in and save just a city and it's surrounding area, reducing the amount of storage used. I find the easiest way is from the menu (either tap the 3 bar button top left or slide in from the left), select 'Offline areas', and tap the + icon (blue background) then scroll and zoom to your desired area and tap download.

Screenshot_2016-01-11-23-56-19.png Screenshot_2016-01-11-23-56-37.png

Currently only navigation by car is available with off-line use.

You could also have a look at :-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth

The app is free to download and worldwide maps are available, also free to download. In the US the maps are state based so again it is reasonable on storage usage, and navigation by car, cycle and foot are available off-line.

Hope this helps :).

Last edited:
Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
For myself?

CoPilot is the best of the crop. Before you download any maps, go to Settings and set the Default storage location to extSDcard. If you don't, the maps will chew up a humongous amount of internal memory.

* CoPilot GPS - Plan & explore! - Android Apps on Google Play

CoPilot has more options than any other map app I have tried, it is totally reliable, and if you pay $9.99 you can get the Audible Drive by instructions... that is a Lifetime fee, once only.

No other map app I have tried is as fast as CoPilot, it is near instantaneous in finding what you want.

google Voice though, is better at just talking to it and driving to your destination... but that uses up DATA, and CoPilot never, ever, uses DATA for anything, it is strictly OFFLINE all the way.....

Make triple sure you have DATA off, and WiFi on before downloading maps.... they are big if you get the whole enchilada.... if you only want one small area, they offer that too.

Reactions: Dave Estam
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones