• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Map update draining battery?

Flying_Hellfish

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
Illinois
Ever since the update a few days ago Google Maps is 2nd on my battery list and it looks like it isn't allowing my phone to sleep. Maps is 14% phone idle is 7% and it drops off from there.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I thought it might have to do with the weather widgets that I have using geolocation but I turned that off and I'm using the actual zip and it is still happening.

Check the market, because Google Maps had another update like a day after the first one. Did you get both?

EDIT: 18% battery is unusual for maps, IMO

Yeah, I grabbed both. I confirmed it is maps draining the battery via spare parts. It has a partial wake lock on the phone. It was fine all morning after I FQ maps but now it is open again and causing another wake lock.

It is unusual, I have never seen this and I monitor my battery almost on a daily basis because I'm OCD about it. When I quit it this morning it dropped down the list and now it is back at the top right under display for battery usage.

Upvote 0
I actually uninstalled and reinstalled maps as well as opened latitude and unchecked most of the auto location items there. I never use latitude but I did see a few posts from within the last month spread across the internet that said latitude was causing partial wake locks. I will be testing over the next few days to see if there is any change.

Upvote 0
A factory reset may be in order for you. I know it's a bit extreme but it did resolve my similar issue a while back.

bleh, factory reset. If I'm going to go that far I may as well sbf then re apply ApeX just to get a fully clean install. I will probably do that this weekend if I can find the time and the issue is persistent.

I pulled off Lookout as that is the only thing I could think that would be re-opening maps on it's own for location information at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones