1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Mapquest Android App Lands For Free On The Market

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Feb 16, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    Buy an Android Phone, use Google Nav, never buy another Garmin- that’s the thought process I think a lot of people have when looking at Android’s positives. Yes, I know there will be plenty of people saying that nothing can replace a dedicated GPS unit for many different reasons – reliability, size, map data, battery [...]

More...

Advertisement

jfe likes this.
  2. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Good to know...

Interesting reviews on the market...

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    If Mapquest or someone were to better incorporate traffic into route selection and have the traffic updated accurately and frequently and update your routes in real-time, then I think it could steal some market share from google navigation.

4. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Consultant/Editor/Writer
    Los Angeles, CA
    One thing I see right away I like...it can be loaded to the SD card on a non-rooted phone. It's worth trying for that alone. And it will take voice commands...hmmmmm.

5. caustic

caustic Guest
    None
    People seem to bash on Mapquest a lot in the comments of that article. I've had some pretty good experiences with it, things were it helped me where Google Maps didn't. In the early days of Google maps, it would get odd little details wrong. Where exactly to turn, or using an obscure secondary name to a road instead of what was actually on the street signs.

While Google maps has gotten a lot better and Navigation is great, there are still a few things that Mapquest shines through for. Just recently I was going to Long Island to pick up a friend, and anyone who's driven through there knows that it's full of bridges and such with expensive tolls. I asked Google maps for a route without tolls and it didn't have one. When I asked Mapquest it gave me this weird path (along tiny one way streets, etc) so as to avoid all the tolls.

6. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    auto detailer
    Iroc
    Question. I'm not sure how to bring up the little button on the screen that gives the list of search results when you click on one of the icons like "airports" at the bottom. Any help? Thanks.

7. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    is there a way for you to download the entire Mapquest map of the US (or any other country) onto the phone?