• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maps 7.0.2

All "starred places" and the "My Maps" removed from version 7.0 and up, including the latest update 7.0.2.

Don't update to the latest version if any of these features are of value to you.

If you have already updated and don't have the old version backed up then let's thank Google for providing a thorough search engine for finding all manner of things. I uninstalled 7.0.2 and installed the old 6.14.3.

It seems like refreshing the Google Maps interface was the priority with the latest update, disregarding anyone who had dared to take advantage of the My Maps or starred favorites for work or places of interest that they may have accumulated over the years.

I like new interfaces but tbh I actually prefer the old Google Maps user name interface, although I do like a couple of the new Google Maps features like being able to go through the whole complete list (not just the few from the search bar) of locations that you've recently visited or "accessed", but I can imagine that feature is far outweighed by being able to access your starred favorites and My Maps locations in the old version.

The area of the map which is available to be downloaded for offline use is now reduced too.

Upvote 0
I love Google Maps/Navigation and use it every weekday to go to/from work so that I can see traffic along my route (I have 3/4 alternate routes). The new update ruins everything in my workflow.
1. They added so many bells and whistle that it brings the Galaxy Nexus to its knees. Transitioning to the next step (i.e. after you make a turn or something) is laggy. You can forget about scrolling around the map or zooming. That's even worse.
2. I have shortcuts on my home page to launch navigation for work/home. This now takes me through 2 different screens (confirming address, etc) whereas it used to take me directly into navigation.
3. The red/orange/yellow/green traffic light that used to indicate congestion along the route has been replaced by a change to the font color of the ETA. This is nearly impossible to see in daylight. You cannot differentiate between green/red let along red and orange. I hope I'm not developing color blindness.
4. It now takes 2 taps to display the route summary (with traffic). Instead of tapping on the ETA to bring this up, you now have to tap on the submenu button, then select route summary.
5. Related to 4, on the route summary screen, I cannot find a way to display alternate routes and ETAs. This is what I use to see what all my options are to avoid traffic. This kills me.

All in all, this update makes everything that was good about maps and mangles it in an attempt to look more like Apple Maps. Truly atrocious.

EDIT: I've uninstalled all updates. Back to 6.14.2 and staying there so that I can keep my sanity.

Upvote 0
Compared with the original Maps 7 update the main thing is that you have the Navigation shortcut again. Offline Maps still requires the "OK Maps" Easter Egg to store the current view (slower and clumsier than the old way, and being hidden doesn't inspire confidence in its support). Link to HTC phonebook still broken. And while it's pretty, I've not found any new functionality that will matter to me.

Starred favourites can be accessed under "Maps History" in the sidebar. Far less obvious and, oddly, less personal, but they are there. I couldn't spot "my maps" though.

I'm very aware that any UI difference is likely to be regarded as "worse" by default at first, but some things do seem to be unnecessarily harder (esp offline). So suspect I'll once again send feedback and uninstall.

Upvote 0
Compared with the original Maps 7 update the main thing is that you have the Navigation shortcut again. Offline Maps still requires the "OK Maps" Easter Egg to store the current view (slower and clumsier than the old way, and being hidden doesn't inspire confidence in its support). Link to HTC phonebook still broken. And while it's pretty, I've not found any new functionality that will matter to me.

Starred favourites can be accessed under "Maps History" in the sidebar. Far less obvious and, oddly, less personal, but they are there. I couldn't spot "my maps" though.

I'm very aware that any UI difference is likely to be regarded as "worse" by default at first, but some things do seem to be unnecessarily harder (esp offline). So suspect I'll once again send feedback and uninstall.

The side menu offering is far and away from a list of starred favorites. The side menu offering on 7.0.2 gives you the opportunity to only see a small selection of your favorites based on whether you are near to them or not, "nearby saved places", anyone wanting to plan a trip to these places for business or pleasure when they're not near them will be out of luck. The picture I've attached shows you the 2 "saved places" based on my location, whereas the old version of maps shows every little star on the Map screen, a feature which also isn't available on the newer "uodate". I updated to 7.0.2 saw no starred favorites on the map screen, used Titanium Backup to roll back to the old version, magically saw all starred favorites on the map screen again.

Untitled2.jpg

Upvote 0
this update took away or hid too many useful features. it's like they took a mature product and rebooted it back to a beta product. i tried to use it for two days, then sent scathing feedback and reverted back to the previous version. once they add the old features back i'll try again. google, i am very disappoint.

Reactions: nfotiu
Upvote 0
Can't stand the update. I'd leave bad feedback, but that would require me having signed up for a Google+ account (if I'm not mistaken) so I can't review apps anymore.

No starred locations? Come on man...I went through the trouble to star clients I visit 2-3 times a year only to have all that taken away. And the UI on the new maps blows, yes you have more options and some are pretty cool, but damn, every function takes about 15 screen touches.

Upvote 0
What were they thinking? No 'my maps'? the integration with google maps on different platforms via My Maps is a unique advantage of the whole platform, and one I rely on all the time. I've also got a bunch of saved locations in other countries I visit, where I won't have easy data access. No offline maps? What were they thinking?? I'd have to go back to the old, slow Garmin GPS.
Luckily I was able to uninstall the update and go back to 6.14.2 - recently did warranty replacement.
(I think the trend is integration with google+ as uber-platform - claims to be intuitive, but I find myself going round in circles looking for options, never could make the 3 way call I wanted - kind of a playground feel instead of a simple linear logic)
What were they thinking? they dumped google reader last month and now this?

Upvote 0
I think everyone should leave a review on Play explaining exactly what they do and dont like and mailing google too if they can be bothered. Most devs take criticism constructively, maybe even the mighty Google :D
It does seem like theyre using the world as beta testers instead of using the beta options that they rolled out for Play a few months ago. Which is bad of them imo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones