• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Maps and Ram

lilredsrt

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Android Newby here,
I've had my Nexus for 2 weeks and so far I am very pleased.
I've been reading thru the forums and picked up several tips. (Many Thanks on that note.)
However I have a question about Apps running and the Maps & Music application.

First Question: RAM - Should I reboot on a regular basis?
Here's why I'm asking.
It started when I noticed that my home page wouldn't "slide" when I tried to go from one side to the other. It had a pause or wouldn't go at all.
None of the other apps or displays seemed to have a problem.
That's when I notice that on Apps Running I was using nearly 173 MB.

Under Apps Running I have Settings, com.android.sprintmenu, Market, Google Services and Android Keyboard running.
A reboot of the phone brought the ram usage back down to 99 MB and my home page seems to be working properly. So is a reboot a regular maintenance activity?

Next Question: Maps and Music Applications.
Here's why I'm asking.
When I reboot, Maps and Music start up. And Maps seem to use quite a few resources. Are these Apps necessary? Or how can I set preferences so they don't start up on reboot?

I apologize up front if these seem like stupid questions. The forum has been of great assistance in helping me get familiar with my new device.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones